Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seized-up Outboard.... Need Advice!

Nah I can't get it to rev by hand when it hits the sticking point (using ratchet).

No electric start....

Tried shifting it in all three positions (F,N,R) but it seems to be doing the same thing in all three positions.

TS

It is not stuck in gear it is stuck in neutral maybe cause if stuck in gear would not turn free by hand. I think you are waisting time with this project. Look for another motor and put check oil before use sticker on it sorry but been there done this...

Bone dry ?
    Put oil in it then pull the plugs and see if it turns over.

Well obviously the pistons are not gaulded in the cylinders as I thought. Im wondering now about the valves stuck or broke preventing that full rotation. .. when you looked in the cylinders were there any scaring in them?

Where would the valve stem covers be located? Here's what I found online but I can't figure it out.

"Remove the valve covers from both cylinder heads by removing each valve cover's retaining bolts located on the lip of each valve cover with a wrench; then pull the valve covers off the cylinder heads to access the rocker arms."

"If the engine refuses to rotate, use a socket to remove the valve cover bolts and remove the valve covers."

"Remove the valve cover, or covers, with a socket."

I'll inspect the cylinders through the plug holes in the morning and probably take a few pics and maybe a video and post them here.

TS

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    Where would the valve stem covers be located? Here's what I found online but I can't figure it out.

"Remove the valve covers from both cylinder heads by removing each valve cover's retaining bolts located on the lip of each valve cover with a wrench; then pull the valve covers off the cylinder heads to access the rocker arms."

"If the engine refuses to rotate, use a socket to remove the valve cover bolts and remove the valve covers."

"Remove the valve cover, or covers, with a socket."

I'll inspect the cylinders through the plug holes in the morning and probably take a few pics and maybe a video and post them here.

TS
    LOL, sounds like your inching towards a rebuild?

Take pics

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Easy fix.

1) Drain oil, gas.
    2) Connect 10' of chain to it, either to powerhead or around the prop.
    3) Connect your rope to the chain.
    Perfectly good anchor and will keep the boat from drifting.
    Get a couple oars and your good to go.
    Good luck, DR
    This almost sounds like someone forgetting the plug or seeing his boat "floating away"

Taper I can tell you now don't attempt to repair it. As stated by others it will never run good unless you pour a ton of money in it. More than what a good used motor will cost. I read were you have zero dollas to spend on a good used motor, you will spend more on a repair job. Sell the old motor for parts to get some money. The power head is shot, kapoot, done fried, dead etc. Buy a good used one so statrt saving you money.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I actually broke down the motor yesterday and the day before and found that one of the two connecting rods is broke. Everything else looks OK so far even the crankshaft. With all that said I found some used parts (connecting rods, crankshaft, pistons) for dirt cheap and will probably do a partial rebuild for now till I can save up enough funds to get another motor. I also figured out that the thing was NOT out of oil like I had first thought. Apparently the previous owner had lost the dipstick and replaced it with another one that looks like it was too short to even reach into the oil pan. I plan on ordering another dipstick too if I do end up deciding to do a partial rebuild. We'll see what happens I'll keep y'all posted for your entertainment and amusement. Atleast now I know it wasn't my own dum-bass fault because the thing was full of oil.

TS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast