Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seized-up Outboard.... Need Advice!

I wanted to say something encouraging but this actually sounds like the end of your motor.

It's possible that you could free an outboard that seized during storage but I think you're talking about one that seized while it was running. That is very different.

With the description that you give of running it out of oil, I can't see how anything less than replacing the power head with a rebuild or another power head will help you.

Even if you get it going the way that it is, you'll still have big problems.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post

Even if you get it going the way that it is, you'll still have big problems.
    FACT!!!!!

And a half day fishing before a tow back to the ramp

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far guys but at this point I have zero dollars and zero cents to put towards a new motor.

Kevman - I've been looking online quit a bit and have found similar tips from others who've had the same problem. I'm sure damage has been done but I'm still going to give it a go and try your advice. I haven't pulled the plugs yet but I was able to get the flywheel to move some using a rachet. As soon as I get a chance I'll pull the plugs and go buy some Anti-Seize Oil or MMO. Thanks for your input!

TS
    Steve - Oil first, then soak for days, then try to turn. Don't try to turn it dry. You did enough damage doing that already.

Good Luck,
    Kev

Easy fix.

1) Drain oil, gas.
    2) Connect 10' of chain to it, either to powerhead or around the prop.
    3) Connect your rope to the chain.
    Perfectly good anchor and will keep the boat from drifting.
    Get a couple oars and your good to go.
    Good luck, DR

I understand what y'all are saying and I agree with you. I'm about 99% sure that she's done but if I can spend $5 to $10 to try and get her free'd up and in working condition again then I'm going to atleast try instead of just assuming it's a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    Steve - Oil first, then soak for days, then try to turn. Don't try to turn it dry. You did enough damage doing that already.
    Yeah I filled it back up with oil and let it soak for a few days before I tried to get it to move. I just pulled the plugs today and as soon as I get a chance I'm going to go pick-up some Anti-Seize Oil or MMO and fill up the holes (insert joke here).

TS

OK so I've got some more info. My Father who is mechanically inclined (vehicles not outboards) came by today to see if he could help. We were able to determine that both pistons are moving freely in theirs cylinders. The prop moves freely as does the flywheel. He seems to think that the thing is stuck in gear and we can't get it into neuteral. When it staled at the lake last Friday I had it in neuteral and was giving it some gas trying to get it to warm-up and both my fishing buddy See Chris Fish and I agreed that it sounded like it had tried to kick into gear when it staled. Keeping my fingers crossed that the damage isn't as bad as it appears and maybe I can still figure out and fix the problem.

With all that being said I can still use any help and tips anyone can provide.

Thank you for all your input everybody I really do appreciate!

TS

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    OK so I've got some more info. My Father who is mechanically inclined (vehicles not outboards) came by today to see if he could help. We were able to determine that both pistons are moving freely in theirs cylinders. The prop moves freely as does the flywheel. He seems to think that the thing is stuck in gear and we can't get it into neuteral. When it staled at the lake last Friday I had it in neuteral and was giving it some gas trying to get it to warm-up and both my fishing buddy See Chris Fish and I agreed that it sounded like it had tried to kick into gear when it staled. Keeping my fingers crossed that the damage isn't as bad as it appears and maybe I can still figure out and fix the problem.

With all that being said I can still use any help and tips anyone can provide.

Thank you for all your input everybody I really do appreciate!

TS
    Man, I'm going on very little you've described and hamstrung by the lack of availibilty of seeing it.

BUT!

1. how low is too low in engine fluid?

2. You said you got the flywheel to turn barely with a ratchet earlier, yet the pistons are now free? How do you know the pistons are free now? cranking with the starter or the ratchet?

3. how is the prop spinning freely and you suspect it in gear? By turning the flywheel the prop turns also? or just spinning the prop and it spins freely.

4. You say it sounded like it tried to kick in gear, a thunk sound right?.. Where the spark plugs in when it was spinning freely?

I'm trying to figure out how it can go from barely moving with a ratchet yesterday to today every thing is spinning fine now?
    Last edited by cutbait; 12-13-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Hopefully this will turn out better than the original description indicated that it might.

Good Luck Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    how low is too low in engine fluid?
    Again I hate to admit it but I'm a dum bass like in Dumb & Dumber and it was bone dry.

You said you got the flywheel to turn barely with a ratchet earlier?
    After I got the flywheel to move with the rachet I can now turn it by hand freely about a quarter turn each way (half turn total) but it still has a sticking point going each way.

How do you know the pistons are free now?
    After pulling out the plugs we got a flashlight to look in the plug holes while turning the flywheel and you can see both pistons moving. It was a little hard to see in there so we stuck a screwdriver in there to be sure and you can clearly feel both pistons moving back and forth and hitting the screwdriver.

how is the prop spinning freely and you suspect it in gear? By turning the flywheel the prop turns also? or just spinning the prop and it spins freely.
    The prop does NOT move at all when I turn the flywheel but spins freely each way by hand.

You say it sounded like it tried to kick in gear, a thunk sound right?..
    Yes exactly! A loud thunk noise then the motor went dead.

Where the spark plugs in when it was spinning freely?
    I was able to get the flywheel to move by hand freely before I ever took out the plugs.

I'm trying to figure out how it can go from barely moving with a ratchet yesterday to today every thing is spinning fine now?
    It's still in the same condition as it was yesterday. Props spins by hand, both pistons move freely, flywheel turns each way by hand each way but is still sticking going each way.

Thanks for your time man I really.... really appreciate it!

TS

And you can't make a complete rev by hand? and what happens when you turn the key?

Gear shift is on side of motor right? not a throttle lever on console type? Have you tried to shift into gear?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast