Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seized-up Outboard.... Need Advice!

Default Seized-up Outboard.... Need Advice!

OK so i've got a 1999 Evinrude 8HP 4 stroke motor that seized up on me this past Saturday.

I really hate to admit it but I ran the thing out of oil and it froze up. I don't want to throw in the towel and stick a fork in her. If there is anything I can do to fix it I can use all the advice I can get. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I can really use them to get this thing purring like a kitten again.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

TaperSteve

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    OK so i've got a 1999 Evinrude 8HP 4 stroke motor that seized up on me this past Saturday.

I really hate to admit it but I ran the thing out of oil and it froze up. I don't want to throw in the towel and stick a fork in her. If there is anything I can do to fix it I can use all the advice I can get. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I can really use them to get this thing purring like a kitten again.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

TaperSteve
    What happened is your piston seized inside its cylinder. You gotta tear down and inspect damage. Odds are all bearings shot. Multiple cylinder damage, burnt crankshaft, list goes on....

You need a new powerhead or rebuild this one.

I guarantee you will find less headache. Searching for a new motor and probably cheaper and part this one oit

Alright Steve, I saw you guys on Saturday. Sorry to hear thats what happened. I looked on the internet for a good few hours and this site is the best one i could find. Hopefully it works for you. This guys problem was due to storage but he does mention that it should help with motors that have seized due to lack of lubrication.

http://www.seized-engine.com/boat-motors.html

Good luck bro.

With all due respect damage has been done and that product will not repair burnt parts nor repair damaged poston rings and bearings

Purchase another engine. Parts & labor will be to much money for what you will end up with. I destroyed my 25HP Johnson with messed up gas. It would have cost more to repair the engine than purchase another used engine. Scraped it and my old 18 HP merc. IMHO

Here is the back woods way to try to get it unstuck. No warranties or guaranties, but this worked for me on an old Suzuki 2HP that froze up and a lot old timers use a similar method on car engines. Best of all, this method is cheap and if your outboard is already trashed you really don't have anything to lose.

0. Add the proper amount of motor oil to the oil case.
    1. Go buy at least a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil. You may even need a quart. It's easy to find. I think even Wally World sells it.
    2. Take out the plugs and fill up each cylinder with MMO. Replace plugs to hold the oil in.
    3. Let it soak for several days. (longer is better)
    4. Every day, hit a solid part of the engine block preferably near the cylinders with a rubber mallet a bunch of times. The vibration helps the oil penetrate to the "stuck" part of the motor. (use a metal hammer or dead-blow hammer if you dare) Top off the oil in the cylinders every day so they stay full.
    5. After the oil soaking and mallet hitting has been done for several days, take the starter recoil cord assembly off the motor. Try to observe which way the nut under the starter assembly turns when you pull the starter cord.
    6. Remove plugs and cover the whole engine with a rag. If this works, oil may spray everywhere.
    7. Attach an impact wrench to the big nut under the starter recoil cord assembly. (if you don't have an impact wrench, a hammer drill DeWalt might do)
    8. Give the nut a good crank with the impact wrench in the same direction that the starter cord would turn it.

If the motor turns, you might have gotten lucky. If not, repeat steps 2-4 and try again in a few more days. In any case, even if you get it to turn you could have torn rings, fried bearings, scored cylinders or cylinders walls, etc., so don't expect the motor to run like new. Your compression will almost surely be reduced, which means less power and rougher running and maybe difficulty starting as well.

Still, a rough motor beats no motor.

Good Luck,
    Kev

sorry to say but since its just a 8hp its gonna be cheaper to replace then try to fix bro

Thanks for all the input so far guys but at this point I have zero dollars and zero cents to put towards a new motor.

Kevman - I've been looking online quit a bit and have found similar tips from others who've had the same problem. I'm sure damage has been done but I'm still going to give it a go and try your advice. I haven't pulled the plugs yet but I was able to get the flywheel to move some using a rachet. As soon as I get a chance I'll pull the plugs and go buy some Anti-Seize Oil or MMO. Thanks for your input!

TS

wow that sucks steve good luck buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far guys but at this point I have zero dollars and zero cents to put towards a new motor.

Kevman - I've been looking online quit a bit and have found similar tips from others who've had the same problem. I'm sure damage has been done but I'm still going to give it a go and try your advice. I haven't pulled the plugs yet but I was able to get the flywheel to move some using a rachet. As soon as I get a chance I'll pull the plugs and go buy some Anti-Seize Oil or MMO. Thanks for your input!

TS
    TS, I feel ya on the money dawg but you have to look at this mechanically, anything you do hoping that anything short of a rebuild is just a waste of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast