Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass fishing right now. WHAT is going on?

Default Bass fishing right now. WHAT is going on?

I fish three major lakes by my house. for the last month, I havent seen any bass close to the shore. everytime I have gone out, I am lucky if I have gotten one. I cant remember last fall/winter being this bad. Is everyone having a hard time catching LMB right now or is it just me? All that seems to be working, if anything, is 6lb fluoro drop shot robos.

It's pretty slow. I fish skinner and dvl atleast twice a week. And if I'm lucky I might get 2 bass in a week.

The weather is taking a dump on us right now so I believe the bass are still transitioning. Also, the rain doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    All that seems to be working, if anything, is 6lb fluoro drop shot robos.
    Nothing wrong with catching them on Robos on the Dropshot!

I can't help you if you don't tell me EXACTLY where you are fishing

went out again today. Did not see a single fish, of any species, ANYWHERE. Did not get a single hit on anything. Drop shot fluke, robo, spinner bait, swimbait, nada nada nada.

I am fishing Canyon Lake, Perris, DVL, and some community lakes. Every lake has been this way, from the shore, for the last few weeks.

I did get to test out my new Revo Toro NcAL 60 and St.Croix Inshore rod. That combo can launch a 3/4 oz big hammer 75 yards no problem. Cant wait to hit the kelp with it. or maybe toss some big trout swimbaits somewhere... :D
    Last edited by October; 12-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Go deeep! move alot. present that robo right in there face n they will eat. they want things slow right now. C rig a creature n move it slooooow off a cove mouth or along a point. i got 7 fish in a few hours 2 days ago near canyon lake.. this lil storm helped things out 2 days before but lastnite was sloooow.1 bass n 1 huge crappie from shore

the problem is that it is 60* F in the day and about 40* F at night lol. welcome to winter bassin. put your hours in (and a ton of frustration) and eventually you will nail a fish or two. then it's all down hill from there. fish deep, fish slow and bring a ton of gear. also put some time in to each cast with a drop shot. i sight fished a local lake once with a drop shot and watched a big old bass just stare at my fluke for about 30 bounces before he slurped it. would never have known he bit me either if i didn't see him engulf the thing. it's tough fishing to be sure.

Rain does some funny things to bass, it can light them up like you wont believe, or give them a serious case of lockjaw and that goes for all seasons. the main problem with rain is that it makes fishing tougher on the angler, and that can really hurt your results.

Good hunting

Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    went out again today. Did not see a single fish, of any species, ANYWHERE. Did not get a single hit on anything. Drop shot fluke, robo, spinner bait, swimbait, nada nada nada.

I am fishing Canyon Lake, Perris, DVL, and some community lakes. Every lake has been this way, from the shore, for the last few weeks.

I did get to test out my new Revo Toro NcAL 60 and St.Croix Inshore rod. That combo can launch a 3/4 oz big hammer 75 yards no problem. Cant wait to hit the kelp with it. or maybe toss some big trout swimbaits somewhere... :D
    It's been tough everywhere bro, especially with the weather we've been getting. The great thing about So Cal is the mild winters and once we get consistent weather the bass fishing usually improves, but typically during this time of year the most of the fish hold deep. However, if you must fish during a rainy cold front with funky weather you must adapt. I remember this one time I fished a bass club tournament at Perris and it was in the 40's with on and off rain. My boater single handedly caught a limit by going deep and drifting a dropshotted robo by either just allowing the natural drift or using the trolling motor to move us throughout the lake in 30-40ft of water. Sometimes his bait would be in the water for more than 30 minutes before getting a bite. But if you're bass fishing from shore at a bigger lakes, it's going to be really tough. If you're fishing from shore, hit up some city park lakes where the dynamic is different from bigger lakes--had a buddy last week catch 5 bass all on a freakin jerbait while I was dropshotting and got skuked at a local city park lake.

Move to the South and fish small private ponds...won't need to worry about fishing deep...LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast