Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A vacation and fishing at Big Bear Lake and Jenks Lake...):}+{:(...

Awesome photos... Fun read as well!

I was up there too for Thursday and Friday nights. Took the 3 y/o grandson for his first time fishing. Fished Boulder Bay and got skunked. Lots of weeds. I wish I had taken my float tube.Had fun watching the dog chasing the ducks around though. I almost hit up Jenks lake on the way home but we decided to try Gregory instead. Nothing there neither. Was only able to wet a line for about an hour. Had to meet the kids parents at Bass Pro. What a zoo that place was !!
    Great report on your end. Maybe we'll see you up there sometime.

really enjoyed your post!

Thanks everyone for reading and the replies! I wish I could have sent the report out earlier, but the resort had some troubles with their network. It is painful and frustrating when the intent doesn’t work well when you really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbfish View Post
    awesome post! long but i read all of it haha.. my family is taking a trip up to big bear in late december so hopefully the whole lake isnt frozen. thanks for the post!
    Thanks! It is a marathon report, lol... I hope you guys have fun up there fishing, it was cold up there, so warm hat, gloves and thick socks are a must have.

Quote Originally Posted by gamekiller View Post
    Awesome!!!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnfun View Post
    Alice - It's all your fault. *Now I'm hungry again. *Bring me a slice of pie the next time we fish Pudd. *Looks like a great vacation. *Fishing seemed slow but some quality trout caught. *See you soon.
    Lol, it's all gone, Charlie.... I heard you fished at the Pudd last Sunday. How do you like your new rod? I got another 13' Tenkara rod with 7:3 action. It’s made in Japan, I don't know how to read the name brand, as it's written in Japanese. Took it to the lake and fished with Robert and Mike for couple hours today, only caught 3 bluegills. But I like the rod, it's a little stiff, but casts well and definitely has more back bone for bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by FSHNLIC View Post
    Awesome vacay!!! You cannot beat them big bear bows!!!
    I agree. Those rainbows from BBL are the most beautiful trout that I ever caught. The flesh is orange colored, like salmon. They are the best tasting trout with tender meat.
    Last edited by The Fishing Queen; 11-28-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Excellent! *Thanks for the great post.
    Thank you Seal! I wish that I would have caught more fish while I was there, but fishing was slow where we were. I wanted to try fishing at Juniper Point to see if the fishing was better over there if we had more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown View Post
    Great report and good time spent with Family cant think of a better way to spend a vacation
    Thanks for reading Hometown! As all of our relatives are living back east, it’s nice to celebrate the holiday in a place like a home away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Thought I knew BBL pretty well ... I have a cabin there ... but don't recall where the Indian Restaurant is?
    This Indian restaurant is near the very end of the village, it's located at the right side of main street (Pine Knot Ave).

Quote Originally Posted by Troutcz swimbait View Post
    Great report and pics once again,see you at the Pudd sometime.
    John, haven't see you at all since you've been back. Have you hit Santa Fe Dam lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I am glad you stuck with it until you finally caught some fish. It looks like the kids are learning how to fish too. I remember I went to Big Bear in mid December once in the afternoon and caught 3 trout in a couple hours of fishing, on a relatively warm day. I wonder if the fishing is better in the afternoons this time of year with the colder weather.
    Robert, you know I won't just leave and come home without catching any fish, right? Lol... The weather was cold in the morning, then it usually warmed up around 10. I was thinking the same thing about the trout fishing getting better after the water gets warmer. Hope someone can give us advice on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    Awesome photos... Fun read as well!
    Thanks you for your nice feedback! :)

Quote Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
    I was up there too for Thursday and Friday nights. Took the 3 y/o grandson for his first time fishing. Fished Boulder Bay and got skunked. Lots of weeds. I wish I had taken my float tube.Had fun watching the dog chasing the ducks around though. I almost hit up Jenks lake on the way home but we decided to try Gregory instead. Nothing there neither. Was only able to wet a line for about an hour. Had to meet the kids parents at Bass Pro. What a zoo that place was !!
    Great report on your end. Maybe we'll see you up there sometime.
    Thanks for the reply and for the additional report on BBL! Sorry to hear about your skunk, it must be disappointing not have any fish action when fishing with the children.

As you mentioned about the weeds, I lost a real nice trout, about 3 pounds, due to the weed situation. So I learned my lesson and changed my leader to 6 pound line. It seemed to work better for me. Funny, the other day when I caught the second trout and as I was reeling in, the trout was very heavy and my rod bend almost in half. Everyone on the shore thought I caught a big trout and I was excited too. Then, as it got closer to the shore, we saw the trout was covered in weeds, plus a bundle of weeds wrapped around the weight above the fish. Those guys teased me and said that I got a fish plus some free salad for dinner - the fish was only about 1&1/2 pound, but the "salad" almost weighed like 2 pounds.

I never get skunked at Jenks Lake. I love that lake, not just because it’s so pretty and clean, but I’ve always had good fishing there. Gregory is a good lake for trout, it’s like Puddingstone and can be tricky some days, I stick with structures when I fish there. Trout like to hide in structures at that lake. The best time to learn that is when the water level is low. We usually catch fish 30’-45’ from the shore. If we can see what the area looks like when water level is low, then we'll know where the fish will be hiding or nesting when water level raises up again.

Good luck to you next time when you are out on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by bedrocksamerica View Post
    really enjoyed your post!
    Thanks, glad to hear that, and welcome to the board!
    Last edited by The Fishing Queen; 11-28-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Epic, glad to hear you had a great vacation with some fish action! The BBL trout looks beautiful!

The catfish bite slowed down at SFD so now just hiting up the pay lakes and pre fishing Guasti for there derby Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fishing Queen View Post
    Lol, it's all gone, Charlie.... I heard you fished at the Pudd last Sunday. How do you like your new rod? I got another 13' Tenkara rod with 7:3 action. It’s made in Japan, I don't know how to read the name brand, as it's written in Japanese. Took it to the lake and fished with Robert and Mike for couple hours today, only caught 3 bluegills. But I like the rod, it's a little stiff, but casts well and definitely has more back bone for bigger fish.

No more pie! Forget it. I don't need to see you at Pudd....lol. My new rod worked well. Will love to see your new rod the next time we're together. Looking out my window, looks like rain. Maybe no fishing this week.

P.S. Love your fur hooded Eskimo look.

Your reports are always interesting and gives me the itch to do some mountain fishing..Thanks for sharing the information and keep those reports coming

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast