Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-3 Giant Squid skunkfest on Western Pride Davey's landing

Default 1-3 Giant Squid skunkfest on Western Pride Davey's landing

Well, the news came in that there were reports of Giant Squid being caught SOUTH of New Port and day time feeding spotted. So, excited as every body else, I came for the twightlight fishing.
    By 6:30 after I got my ticket, look around, see a lot people, I asked the landing people how many are booked. He said, LIGHT load, maybe 20.
    By the time we boarded, there must have been 40~50 people. The boat took a long time, way past leaving time, and we ended up with 72 people on the boat. I said to my self "Great, this is going to be a zoo here."
    As we are going out, I was joking to one of the deck hand "I hope we don't catch anything with this many people as fish/squid cleaing will take 4 to 6 hours."
    Well, at the first stop, captain said, "Let them go, about 200 ft!!!". I said to myself "WHAT 200"!!!. No way in hell I will try to pull up a 8~10 lb squid from 200". I will wait until the squids are up on the surface". Thus, I did not even put my sinker onto the line and I just watch 71 other people drop their lines and jig up and down for 20 minutes and tangle and untangle.
    Next stop, captain said "We are in 600" water area, drop your line to 400~450ft". Most people reels does not not hold more than 400ft of lines, mine is only 300ft maybe. Forget it, next stop.
    Next stop, captain said "Drop your line to 600ft". I just took my rod and place it on the holding rack.
    So, to sum it up, the whole boat with 72 people got SKUNK. My PB is not only I got skunk, it is the first time I am on a boat and my line was not WET.
    Captain excuse is maybe the squids are in Dana Point area, not in New Port and this is ONLY AN EXPLORATORY TRIP. Well, dud, so what the hell are we doing in 2 miles radius of New Port harbor?
    So, the only good thing come out of this is the weather was nice. It was not too cold up until 10:30 PM. The swell was small and no one threw up or sea sick. DFG collected a ton of money from new licenses. The landing got a few thousands of dollars from the tickets, squid jigs, and sinkers.
    One thing I am not sure of what happen, the deck hand collected JACK POT money from maybe 20 people. At the end of the trip, there was no announcement of what happens to that money as no one landed ANYTHING. I guessed the deck hand kept all that money to himself as no one asked for that money back.
    SO, PEOPLE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. KEEP YOUR HARD EARN MONEY AND STAY HOME UNTIL A REAL REPORT COME IN.
    We were all in for a ride, if you don't call that a rip off or false advertisement.
    Last edited by cklovetofish; 01-04-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks for the Report. I saw a posting on Davey's Locker Facebook page, stating reports of Giant Squid moving into the area. I was thinking about heading out tonight since I have yet to catch a squid and thought it would be nice to add it to my species portfolio. The Facebook posting didn't mention anything about an "Exploratory Trip", 2 miles radius doesn't seem like and Exploratory Trip!! I'm curious to see if they report 72 anglers and no squid caught on their Fishing Report Page...

NewPort landing came out with another e-mail saying that ONE boat SOUTH of Newport landed 150 squid last night. NewPort landing is coming out with 2 boats tonight targeting the squid.
    Come on guys, for twightlight boat with just 5 hours fishing, how much time would you have for fishing if you were going down to DANA Point, 20 miles away?? 20 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Techtito View Post
    Thanks for the Report. I saw a posting on Davey's Locker Facebook page, stating reports of Giant Squid moving into the area. I was thinking about heading out tonight since I have yet to catch a squid and thought it would be nice to add it to my species portfolio. The Facebook posting didn't mention anything about an "Exploratory Trip", 2 miles radius doesn't seem like and Exploratory Trip!! I'm curious to see if they report 72 anglers and no squid caught on their Fishing Report Page...
    Davey's and NewPort are known for never post a low count or skunk trips. There is no report as of now yet. However, in the coupon e-mail they did admit that there were no squid caught last night. And they are going further SOUTH looking for those. YEAH RIGHT!!

What boat caught 150 squid?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-4-2013 9-12-33 AM.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	38511
    Last edited by Techtito; 01-04-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Don't know, they did not say. But this is the report from Dana Wharf.

Thursday, January 3rd 2012

2 Boats, 46 Anglers
    12 Giant Squid, 2 Calico, 26 Sandbass, 4 Sargo

SUM FUN 1/2/13 12 anglers 12 Giant Squid

http://www.danawharf.com/fishct.html
    Last edited by cklovetofish; 01-04-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cklovetofish View Post
    Davey's and NewPort are known for never post a low count or skunk trips. There is no report as of now yet. However, in the coupon e-mail they did admit that there were no squid caught last night. And they are going further SOUTH looking for those. YEAH RIGHT!!
    I always had a feeling those reports are sketchy...I made a comment on their Facebook page asking if they would post the Squid Count...Let's what they say!

That sucks. I must have gotten lucky 2 years ago. Went outta h and m landing in San Diego on a whim and we only fished for 45 minutes due to the long trek, however I was able to land 15 squid to 25lbs in that short amount of time. The bad part was that when they asked me if I wanted them all I said yes and I wanted them all cleaned. I ended up having to go to the ATM upon docking because the cleaning was sooooo much and the trip back to my truck, that was 1/2 a mile away was a terrible walk considering I had a sack with about 100lbs of squid. What was I thinking? Won't make that mistake again. The squid we caught were HUGE though, average 20lbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simply_P View Post
    That sucks. I must have gotten lucky 2 years ago. Went outta h and m landing in San Diego on a whim and we only fished for 45 minutes due to the long trek, however I was able to land 15 squid to 25lbs in that short amount of time. The bad part was that when they asked me if I wanted them all I said yes and I wanted them all cleaned. I ended up having to go to the ATM upon docking because the cleaning was sooooo much and the trip back to my truck, that was 1/2 a mile away was a terrible walk considering I had a sack with about 100lbs of squid. What was I thinking? Won't make that mistake again. The squid we caught were HUGE though, average 20lbs!!
    How much is squid cleaning?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	38512 This was the average size and the price was 5$ per squid.
    Last edited by Cadillyak; 01-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast