Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11/10 & 11/22 Long Beach

Default 11/10 & 11/22 Long Beach

Hi All,

Haven't written a report for months. I've been fishing but nothing really worthy or legal I could have wrote about.

Went to Long Beach twice during the past two weeks because the surf was just too high at my favorite spots. It was actually my first time there in Long Beach, now the second. Always heard that Long Beach was a pretty good halibut area since there are minimal waves; thanks to the jetties. Fished with my normal equipment: 6' Convergence rod, Sahara spinning reel, 10 lb P-Line (smoke blue), LC FM 110 (MS American Shad). Both trips treated me pretty well from my opinion. But ended up loosing an LC. The bail flipped back on a cast, the LC flew like a rocket, Adios! Need to stock up, hope there are some discounts during the holiday sale.

11/10 (Sat), Long Beach

First catch near some rocks early duirng the session. This guy hit only 6 feet away from me.

Later on just randomly casting this one wanted some action too, put up a lot better fight than the first.

Thanks for my friend Ryan (fishing time) for taking the nice pictures. He came with me that day, but unfortunately got skunked.
    By the way, this is him with one of his halibut caught on 10/28/2012 at Malibu with the LC FM 110 (Barred Surfperch).

Just about when it was time to head off from LBC, we saw this craziness.

We ran our *** there and tried casting as close as possible, but it was probably another 40 yards out. Casted another 10 minutes with nothing and called it a day.

Here's the worn lure of the day.

11/22 (Thu), Long Beach

Another high surf day, so came to Long Beach hoping to be as productive as last time. Not too long when I got to the sand, something flipped on top of the water that got my attention, first thought it was one of those birds, but never came back up. Good fishy sign. Started attacking the place, suddenly another jump, but couldn't see what it was. I kept casting and it jumped the 3rd time. On the 4th jump it was clear, a slim body that was a little more than a foot long with a yellowish tail. Probably a Yellowfin Croaker. Ended up casting in the vicinity for an hour for NOTHING. I guess that fish was teasing me the whole time "here i am, you can't catch me."

The tide got lower and some structure started to show up. Casted around and thought I got snagged on something. It was retrievable but dead. Kind of like big kelp, but there were no sign of kelp in that area. So I thought it must have been a log or some kind of trash. I just wanted my LC back, so I was just slowly retrieving it. Then, when it got visible, "What the heck, it's a flattie!" Really, this butt was so chill. He didn't fight at all until he probably saw me approaching.

So here's the butt that probably ate too much turkey, doesn't have a clue what's going on.

It was still early and wanted to get more familiar with the area at low tide so I continued to work the beach. The area holds more wholes than it actually looks.

Then I saw another fish jump out; it was clear, a short halibut. Hope this small butt isn't the same as the croaker that was teasing me. After a few casts, slowly retrieving, got a hit. Bingo!!!

This small one was a lot more fun than the legal, at least he tried fighting.

11/10 (Sat), Long Beach
    ==================
    +2 Halibut (21" & 21")

11/22 (Thu), Long Beach
    ==================
    +3 Lizardfish => varocious little things, they were the size of my lure
    +2 Halibut (23" & 16")
    -1 Flashminnow (MS American Shad)

All caught and released.

This is my first legal halibut since, I believe, April. It's kinda weird, I didn't have any luck during the summer months, all 4 of my legals were caught during the colder months. The prior three were caught this year during February to April. I thought halibut come closer to the shore and are more active when the water is warm, or was I just unlucky.

Thanks for taking your time to see the report.

Hope you all have a wonderful TURKEY week.

Albert (jinbow)

Hey Albert!
    Very nice sessions Bro.
    Those first 2 were so close.....should have used your fish stretcher...
    LB can really go off at times, I think I need to take the boy there to get his fish juices flowing...
    Thanks for the report and pics,
    Robert
    <><

Thumbs up

Congrats on the legal Hali Albert.
    I'm back in town but crazy busy... trying to free up some time so I can maybe hit the surf on Sunday.
    Thanks for the update in the usual A.O. Looks like we need to find some cleaner water.

Default Yeahhhhhhhhh albert!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........

.......NICE FISH, EXCELLENT REPORT MY FRIEND.....way to go, that is soo cool......

You put in the time and the work buddy, well deserved.........thanks for sharing......

Default Legals

Congrats. on the Legals

Way to go Albert! I was kinda wondering why you didn't go back there after those two near legals when I saw you last week at AO #2. Seemed like that spot had some potential. Might have done a little better than we ended up doing that day had you gone back.

Quote Originally Posted by jinbow
    This is my first legal halibut since, I believe, April. It's kinda weird, I didn't have any luck during the summer months, all 4 of my legals were caught during the colder months.
    Hmmm....I kinda remember someone having a ton of luck in june with a legal Wsb and the biggest surf calico that most of us have ever seen!

Congrats!!!!
    Don
    Last edited by bachiboy; 11-24-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Congrats on the nice catches and the legal!
    Great way to start off your thanksgiving day, that's for sure.
    Thanks for the report and pictures!

-Daniel

Good call, looks like the drive to LB paid off nicely for you.
    I was out there Sunday the 18th, got 1 short and lost a big
    one .

Congrats on your legal and thanks for the report.

Nice legal and almost legals Albert
    Too bad I missed my freeway ramp on Thursday, otherwise I would have been fishing with you that day Oh well. Next time
    Glad you had a good session.

Quote Originally Posted by jinbow View Post

This is my first legal halibut since, I believe, April. It's kinda weird, I didn't have any luck during the summer months, all 4 of my legals were caught during the colder months. The prior three were caught this year during February to April. I thought halibut come closer to the shore and are more active when the water is warm, or was I just unlucky.
    All of my notable catches except for 1 legal butt were caught during the colder months also. Maybe we need to fish more during the warmer months lol. I guess we have to test it out next year

Thanks for the report

-Thien

P.S. Lmk if you find deals on LCs. I tried finding some but couldnt find any.

Awesome job out there Albert. I just cant bring myself to visit the LBC anymore. I've had pretty good luck there with a few legals over the years but I got burnt out on all of the pancakes. Now I always ask myself..."Where would I handle the skunk better.....Cherry or somewhere it's pretty?" Guess I walked away from the LBC one too many times with a pancake headache....LOL
    To answer your question about the halibut biting during the summer months.....
    First there needs to be bait in the surf line for this pattern to develop. This year as well as last year we have been short changed when it comes to inshore baitfish holding consistantly to draw the halibut into the shallows and KEEP them there after they spawn. When there isn't any forage food for them in the surf zone they will slide out to where they can feed. Cherry for example holds bait for the entire year as most harbors do. I don't have an explanation for why the baitfish have been so scarce other than the cycle they are on. Offshore fisherman talk about the 30 year cycle in which the bait becomes very scarce and I've heard through the grapevine that we are on the tail of that cycle. Kinda makes sense too..... I've seen the inshore baitfish population REALLY diminish over the last 4 years or so. Pretty much all we can hope for right now is for the baitfish to move back in before the winter chill is upon us for three months.....Ugh

Congrats on the legal and posting up a very nice report. Keep up the great work out the bro.
    Last edited by bones; 11-26-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast