Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite dropshot hook for Largemouth bass?

Default Your favorite dropshot hook for Largemouth bass?

I've been having some annoying problems lately, I keep losing bass, and I believe it may be my hooks causing the problem.

I've been using:

Gamakatsu drop shot/splitshot hooks 1/0

Roboworm ReBarb hooks

It's funny because those rebarbs are thin but they just wont penetrate deep enough to avoid being spit out..

I've been thinking of switching to wide-gap finesse hooks instead of the standard DS style hook..

Can you guys recommend a better hook? The past few trips to a nearby lake has been yielding GREAT numbers of decent sized bass, but they keep shaking loose at my feet X(

My go to hooks for dropshot are the owner mosquito hooks there the best in my opinion and really affordable i tipically use size 6 for an average 5 inch worm.Also i like nose hooking my dropshot worms for a better hookup ratio and better action.
    Last edited by jbassc; 11-18-2012 at 12:56 AM.

I have to recommend the VMC Spinshot hooks - They're a good concept and they work,and of course your standard Gammy/Owner DS hooks.
    Give the Spinshots a try....

Gamakatsu EWG size 4 or 1. It all depends on what size lure I'm throwing that day or if I'm even dropshotting lol!

I was interested in the spinshots, but tying three knots (cant afford tungsten sinkers) kind of annoys me..

I normally use Kahle hooks, but I switched to gamakatsus in hopes of an increased hookup ratio, and now I keep losing fish.. =\

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    I was interested in the spinshots, but tying three knots (cant afford tungsten sinkers) kind of annoys me..

I normally use Kahle hooks, but I switched to gamakatsus in hopes of an increased hookup ratio, and now I keep losing fish.. =\
    For the Gamakatsu i like the 2/0 hooks it sounds heavy and thats why I use it. I let the weight help me bring the worm head down alittle more and it gives it a very good gliding action as you reel it because the worm is tip heavy. The bigger hook allows me to keep the hook in and since its alittle bigger it can have more gap of fish mouth to dig into.

Haha it pisses me off because I have to travel 7 miles to get those in size 2/0...

Damn you walmart!

I personally love the Daiichi Drop Shot hooks, very sharp, very strong. If memory serves me correctly in Japanese Daiichi means, Damn thats a sharp hook!, HA! Just Joking. As to which size, it depends on what I'm drop shotting.Daiichi Drop Shot Hooks
    Last edited by Bassnman Mike; 11-19-2012 at 07:27 AM.

My favorite hook for fishing the drop shot with a small straight tail worm or fluke is the Mustad 37160. Its not your standard hook actually its a caddis fly hook so the sizes are different for example a size 14 is about the size of standard size 6 hook. The finish isn't satin black its bronze but its perfect for LMB for a number of reasons. The bend holds the plastic bait perfectly when nose hooking. Its a lite wire hook which allows the bait a lot movement making for a very natural presentation also the lite hook makes it easier to hook fish on lite action rod with lite line.

Although its lite hook due to the unique bend it holds up and doesn't bend out as easily as a standard j hook. Its shape works much like a circle or wide gap hook most fish are lip hooked more often then not reducing the risk of fatality plus bass have a lot harder time shaking the hook in comparison to a standard hook such as off set Mosquito hook. Although I don't recommend them saltwater for anything other than lite action surf fishing they make great sand crab hooks for fishing corbina on the beach. I have caught a couple legal halibut on them but I don't recommend them for line heavier heavier than 6 lbs test but for finesse fishing they are the best for the drop shot that I have ever used. The only down side to these hooks is that you usually have to order them. I would be using them regardless if they cost more but the fact that you can pick up a box of 100 of them for 5 to $6 is hard to beat.

Mustad 37160

Jerryg
    Last edited by jerryG; 11-20-2012 at 05:50 PM.

I used to use Owner hooks and was having the same problem you were, then I made the switch to Gama's which increased my hook up ratio slightly. Now that's when I used to nose hook all my dropshot baits, now I wacky rig them with the same hook and the owners and wow what a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast