Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3lb or 4lb for trout?

I use 4# p-line fluoroclear but I switched to 2# p-line fluoroclear this season. Works like champ

I have struggled with this for a long time and from my experience its 2 lb Izor or Maxima. With Maxima getting the nod for castability. Izor is great too. I use 3 lb Maxima on my drop shop rod for the extra hook set power. I have friends who use 4 lb and catch lots of fish too but in my experience 2 lb out fishes 4. Also I have tried PLine and couldn't stand it, too much memory and just seemed like junk to me. But that is my opinion

I've tried maxima as well, and it does not have a memory issue (Very Limp Line), but in my tests the breaking strength of maxima was not nearly as good as P-Line or Izor.

For me it's 4#. When I go to a pay lake I expect that at some point in my trip I will be fighting a fish that could break 2# easily, and I'd rather get a few less bites on the whole rather then bringing a knife to a gun fight when I hook into a toad.

To each his own I say, but I still stand by the 4# P-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan951 View Post
    2lb izor havnt had any problems yet
    It's the best way to go. You wouldn't believe how strong izor 2lb is. I grew up using Ande but it has a lot more memory, especially if it has been sitting around from 1 season to the other. I have multiple trout setups and I primarily fish my mini jig set up so I don't always get around to changing all of my other rods out.

2lb izor, many fish over 10lbs and no problems.

Note that the term 2 lbs is really a misnomer. One manufacturer's 2 lbs line may be as thick as another's 3 lbs or more. Another manufacturer's 4 lbs may be as thin as yet a fourth manufacturer's 4 lbs. So I do not gauge a line rating by its claimed rating but by its actual diameter.

In the end, the fish doesn't care about what is on the label, but it cares about visibility - is the line detectable? And does it matter?

So I much prefer to gauge a line by its diameter and actual breaking strength.

In my tests, Tectan has the thinnest diameter for the breaking strength. Noticeably stronger than Maxima for example. However, it is also a brighter green than Maxima and may be more visible in particular water.

In short, I much prefer to rate line by their actual diameter. A $15 digital caliper will help gauge this all day long.

I've landed a couple of 7 1/2 lbs trout that did long runs, and then went into weeds with 2 lbs so I'm fairly confident that 2 lbs land me more fish overall when accounting for bite rates and breakoffs - as long as I have a top quality drag.

UL

Tectan stopped making there line like they use to, I used to use the 2.4lb Tectan premium plus and it was super thin but broke at exactly 2.4lbs. I think izor xxx 2lb is a great mix of diameter and strength breaking close to 3.5. Another line I like is pline floroclear because its thin diameter and very limp so you can cast jigs further but the trade off is that its not nearly as strong as izor.

Hmm, did not know that. I still have a good supply of Tectan and got some as recent as a few months ago. The 3.1 lbs Tectan is as thin as 2 lbs Maxima or thinner if I remember correctly.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    Tectan stopped making there line like they use to, I used to use the 2.4lb Tectan premium plus and it was super thin but broke at exactly 2.4lbs. I think izor xxx 2lb is a great mix of diameter and strength breaking close to 3.5. Another line I like is pline floroclear because its thin diameter and very limp so you can cast jigs further but the trade off is that its not nearly as strong as izor.

I usually use 2 lb for jigging / worming. 4lb for bait and N/C and 6 to 8 lb for trolling for trout .. All on Izor xxx ..

Sean

4lb test...unless you wanna fish like a poacher with 20lb test on a surf rod.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast