Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 8-28 Suisun Sturgeon

Default 8-28 Suisun Sturgeon

Having heard of great sturgeon fishing on Saturday when a charter reported five or so sturgeon were brought to the boat, I finally got inspired to get off my duff and head for Suisun Bay. I don't think I've ever fished for sturgeon in July, but...

I anchored near Garnet Point around noon. I tossed out some very old, frozen lamprey. Even the stripers wouldn't touch it, but the sturgeon likely still would take it. Four hours later I had a heck of tough sturgeon on who ran like a freight train. I'd have bet it was a hundred pounder the way he took off. After 10 or 15 minutes he was exhausted at the boat. I was shocked how small he was. But he measured 52" and weighed just 30 lbs. He was a tough little fighter.

One tag down, two to go!

Photos at my homepage: http://groups.msn.com/FishWishersHomePa ... atest.msnw

Dale

Very cool fish! Nice job.

wow! i need to add that on my list.

wtg, great report

btw, did it taste good? I had farm rasied before and it was average...

richard

Thanks guys, it was a fun catch.

Pargo, I'm not much of a fish eater, but my neighbor already has this one cleaned and in the fridge. He loves it. A lot of folks say sturgeon is great eating, but I've always thought it is pretty bland. It is not fishy at all, and I had a bit my neighbor cooked up today and it was a lot like chicken. He just rolled it in unbleached flour, added garlic salt and a fish seasoning he has, and fried it up.

I prefer catching 'em to eating them!

thanks for the report

Wow, that's a big one.