Spent a couple of hours at San Antonio trolling and looking for stripers on top. Beautiful afternoon and evening, but not much going on around the So. Shore marina. Lots of bait metered, and tons of bait (glass minnows?) by the dock, but no stripers to be found. Saw a brief flurry of a boil across from the marina, but that was about it. At one point, I saw hundreds of birds diving on bait and managed to pull gear and get up close, but no fish breaking the surface and no hits when casting spoons beneath the birds. It was crazy though. I have seen that kind of very intense bird activity in the ocean, but nothing like that on a lake before. I was amazed that I didn't end up with a bird on my line with that kind of activity.
What's happened to the shad? I don't remember seeing so many schools of those small minnows in the past. The last time I fished there at night, I put my bait light out on the water and only managed to draw up schools of very small minnows. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.