Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Epic Topwater Action at Silverwood on Stripers---> Video!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Epic Topwater Action at Silverwood on Stripers---> Video!

Silverwood fishing trip report time!

Video Link: Striped Bass Fishing Silverwood Reservoir California HD!

Just finished putting together a new video from recent trips to Silverwood. Last Sunday, a fellow FNN member and I went fishing for stripers at the 'Wood. Despite great conditions as the sun set, there was virtually no boils to be seen and nothing hitting our lures. It was a little frustrating and the occasional rude speedboat, racing very closely by while trying to hit flocks of birds did not help the mood. There was a LOT of anglers out on the banks, almost all doing the bait 'n wait thing, along with a few bass boats anchored further out. There was a little wind that came on later in the evening, but we had a protected cove that allowed us to keep fishing without too many problems.

The lack of boils was in stark contrast to a previous trip just a week earlier with similar conditions. The only difference was this time a full moon slowly rose across the lake, casting a welcome glow over the dark waters as the sun went down. Then, the bite turned on, for about 30 minutes. A school of smaller stripers came over to our point on the bank and began crashing on baitfish. We tossed topwaters at 'em, both a Hokkaido buzzjet and the ever-popular Sammy style lures, getting nailed on walk-the-dog retrieves. The fish weren't too large, but they were super aggressive, sometimes coming right out of the water to swipe at the passing lure. We hooked around 10+ in that brief period, and also watched another angler (bait 'n wait) bring in to large catfish, including one that was 7-8pounds. Key time was a little after the sun went down. We stuck around for another 45 minutes or so after the bite shut off but hardly saw any more boils and definitely didn't have any hits.

At the top of the page is the video from the night! There's a couple of shots of a few larger stripers in it; these were from a previous trip. It's a little hard to make out the boils and hits on top, but they are definitely there towards the latter portion of the video. Also a brief glimpse of a striper underwater, I'm trying out a new action camera with a fun waterproof frame. Definitely a fun night, I can't wait to go back!

Awesome video. Thanks. Love seeing the fish boiling after the topwaters and the underwater shots are great. Hope the bite keeps up through the winter.

Epic topwater?

4. Default Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Epic topwater?

Ok, I'll bite.

Seal, 30 minutes of micros hitting topwaters probably isn't much to get excited about for you, since it's obvious you fish Silverwood regularly. You've been incredibly helpful as well and for that I thank you. However, as you know, I just started to fish this lake within the last month or so. I haven't experienced many situations where you can have schools of fish slapping at your Spook on multiple casts, let alone boils within casting distance of the shore and multiple hits on repeated casts over 30 minutes. Sure, I've seen a few impressive boils at DVL, but not reachable for a shore-bound angler like myself. It's definitely not something I've run into at Canyon Lake, Perris, Puddingstone, or any of the urban creeks and city park ponds I fish. Thus, from what I've run into, it certainly was "epic." My chest camera mount may not have picked up as well as I would like though

Tree and I had multiple double hookups on the bass during this brief period. Definitely enjoyed it.

its always fun when there slapping that spook!!

sick

Holy moly.... lol. That was an epic video.. Love seeing silverwood blow up like that. Fish it all the time. Good job on the video and the catches....