Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post HG4 Breather… Sunday 10/28 S.W.A.T. Assault - Plus a Couple of Bonus Report!

Smile Post HG4 Breather… Sunday 10/28 S.W.A.T. Assault - Plus a Couple of Bonus Report!

With the HG4 Event officially in the books, there’s no better way to wash off all the stress that comes with planning the biggest surf fishing gathering ever, than in the surf itself.

Lieutenant Bones called me Saturday night and said, “We’re hitting the surf tomorrow. I’ll be at your house at 5:00am, you pick a spot, I’ll drive…” I haven’t hit the surf in months. Too busy with work, planning for HG4, and taking care of life’s “other” more pressing matters. Turn on my laptop, did a quick check of the conditions… Wow, major tidal movement, flat swells, full moon… whatever, we’re going no matter what. I decided on an A.O. that best fit the conditions and off we went… whatever happens, happens...

Mission Data:
    Duration – 6:30am to 10:30am

A.O. – Classified

Conditions: Rapid incoming tide, 1-2 ft swells, 8-10 second intervals, calm conditions, water temperature approximately 68 degrees, clear skies, light offshore wind, moderate salad, excellent water clarity, heavy baitfish presence.

Techniques: Bones – Throwing FM110 LC (Cherry Candy Pearl pattern), Drop shot 5” White Ice Zoom Flukes. Wingnut – Throwing Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110SP (Sexy Aji pattern).

Fish Count: All released.
    Bones – (4) Halibut 16”, 19”, 20”, 23” Legal. (1) Yellow Fin Croaker, (1) Barred Surf Perch, (10+) Smelt
    Wingnut – (3) Halibut 16” 18”, 25” Legal. (4) Calico Bass, (10+) Smelt

The bite was off the hook at grey light, as we hit the surf and saw baitfish scattering everywhere.
    We were getting hit and hooking up on just about every other cast for the first 15 minutes or so… too bad they were all Torpedo sized Smelt. Once the Smelt vacated the area, we started hooking up with the desired species. The surf was full of life and the water clarity was great. We saw so many Shovelnose, Rays, Leopard Sharks, Perch and schools of mega-sized Corbina cruising the shallows. We spooked quite a few short Halibut also. I saw some type of Shark, maybe a Soup Fin or Seven Gill about 5-6 ft long, silver & gray in color, scatter a school of Corbina right in front of me, it made a quick u-turn when it saw me and shot straight back out. My heart skipped a beat, lol. Leopards don’t bother me, but that was quite a surprise. We fished hard until the high tide pushed us up against the rocks and it was getting a little dangerous. Called it around 10:00am and headed for brunch.

I haven’t been fishing much lately and it felt great to have a successful mission on my first trip back in the surf.
    Mike, had a great time sharing the sand with you my brotha. See, I didn’t suck the fishing mojo out of you after all, hahahaha

Thanks again to all that came out to join us for the Hunting Giants 4 gathering.

HG5 will be even bigger and better!

Have a great week everybody!

Arthur (Wingnut)

Things I’ve learned in life, so far...

I've learned that we don't have to change friends, If we understand that friends change.

I've learned that something that you do in an instant, can give you heartache for life.

I've learned that you should always leave loved ones with loving words, it may be that last time you see them.

I've learned that either you control your attitude, or it controls you.

I've learned that sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you are down, will be the one who helps you get up.

I've learned that sometimes when I am angry, I have the right to be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

I've learned that just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them too, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

I've learned that it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others, but sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

I've learned that sometimes the people that you love most in life, are taken from you too soon.

I've learned that you can't make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved, and the rest is up to them.

I've learned that no matter how much I care, some people just don’t care back.

I've learned that it takes years to build up trust, and just seconds to destroy it.

I've learned that it's not what you have in life, but who you have in it, that counts.

I've learned that you can keep going, long after you think you can't.

I've learned that there are people who cares for you dearly, but just don't know how to show it.

I've learned that even when you feel you have nothing left to give, someone you care about cries out and you find some way to help.

I've learned that our backgrounds and circumstances may have influenced our lives, but we are responsible for who we become.

Here are some photos of our fun day.

Did some light hiking down to the spot in the dark.

The Smelt school was thick!

First quality hook up!

Notice the blood…?

That’s MY blood… I guess one good stab deserves another, lol.

Lieutenant Bones scores his first short Flattie of the day.

The Flat Fish of the “Right” kind for me!

The release…

Mike nails a nice BSP.

I get another quality Calico.

And another…

Mike sticks another short Halibut.

After a couple of short Flatties, I nail my last fish of the day, a really nice Calico!

Weapons of mass destruction.

Gotta love structure fishing… taking the fight to the enemy!
    And we didn't lose a single LC all morning, whoohoo!

Mike closes out the morning with a legal Flattie of his own on the dropshot.

Extra pics…
    The water was flat and clear.

This dying Seal was lying at the edge of the surf, could barely lift its head when we approached…

R.I.P.

On the hillsides, last of the Summer bloom.

Good times…

Let’s pack up and go to lunch!

Parting Shots.

My HG4 gift from my S.W.A.T. Brothers & Sisters.

Bonus food pics… compliments of the Iron Chef.

Homemade Pho, yummy!

A couple of my friends and S.W.A.T. Brothers gave me some Bluefin Tuna fillets, thanks guys!

Pan Seared Bluefin Tuna with Sesame Oil & Soy Sauce topped with fresh Chives and roasted Sesame seeds… Heavenly!

Garlic seasoned Rockfish with Fried Rice, delicious! Thanks for the Rockfish fillet Mikey!

From Pug Nation… have a Happy and Safe Halloween everybody.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 11-14-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Adding Bonus Report.

Hi ya Commander!

I was happy to receive your text and the up dates of all of Poseidon's gifts .... both you and Mr. Bones had a nice and relaxing day!
    The Man above knows.... how much the both of you gave of your selves .....and so when it comes to giving to others....you guys had gone way beyond the norm.

I am very proud of the both of you...for being the kind of men that you are. You walk your talk and lead by example!
    After giving so much....you guys did deserve a nice relaxing day together.... full of nothing but rippin' lips and good laughs!

I don't believe that I could have picked a better AO than the one you fished at!
    That's a beautiful spot and it is definitely a gift from the Man above for all of us to enjoy!

Peace my brotha,
    PS.... That's one toad of a Calico!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 10-30-2012 at 06:21 AM.

And that is why you are the commander sir! Epic session! You are setting quite an example for amateurs like myself! Thank you for everything that you do wingnut!

Great read.... been missing these reports glad to see you back out!

TS

Okay, so, you and Mike take a few months off from the surf to take care of lifes more pressing matters, plan, coordinate and pull off the biggest and best Hunting Giants to date and you two go out and pick up right where you two left off! Amazing!

Both of you deserved to have a day on the beach to relax and just looking at the pictures you guys were able to do that and bring some impressive catches to the sand. Great job both of you. You both deserve more epic days and I'm sure there will be plenty to come!

Nice session indeed Arturo...
    When you texted me yesterday, I was at the hospital with Sheila, she's doing fine...
    It's good to see a smile on your face and blood on your hands...
    I was really wanting to see the that chunky calico and chunky it was...
    Seems like the race for most legal flatties is between you and Mike.
    I might hit up that area tomorrow afternoon for the negative low tide...
    Hopefully you guys didn't scare all the fish away.
    You and yours are in my Prayers Brotha...

Robert
    <><

Awesome report Commander !!!
    Looks like you and Bones had a GREAT day.

That was a perfect fishing day, thanks for sharing those hog calicos!!!!!

Arthur & Mike,

You 2 deserved some time on the battlefield together after pulling off the amazing HG4.

All I can say is a beautiful AO, Nice variety of quality fish that place has to offer and as always a great report! I remember busting my Hali-Cherry there with the 2 of you on that great day a few years back to gain my entry into "SWAT".

Also recognize that booth for lunch and the day Mike's face turned a darker shad of red than his hair when asked how his "Ribeye" should be cooked!

Well deserved day off from all of the planning of the event all the while dealing with other life changing events going on out there!

Steve

Arthrur & Mike

Glad to see you two out fishing the surf for those big dog that roam the surf. That makes life time memory!
    Thanks.
    Ramiro..

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast