Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. Brotha Beaches A New PB Halibut!

Default S.W.A.T. Brotha Beaches A New PB Halibut!

Since being inducted into the S.W.A.T. Brotherhood back in January of 2011....my 1 3/4 year standing PB record for all of my legal Hali's has remained no greater than 22 1/2"....and this has been getting really old!
    So instead of becoming impatient about the size of the fish.....I would try to remember the words my Grandfather would choose to say to me when he saw me becoming impatient, he would say:
    "With patience.....all good things will come your way Dan...in due time". So I knew my time would come eventually!

Thursday 10-25-2012....South Bay Area, assaulted the spot from 1130 - 1545 hrs.
    AO: ""Ol' Fathful"
    Air temp: 72 degrees Fahrenheit, clear skies, windy at first but slowed down towards the end.
    Water temp: 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Clear, no salad, schools of bait all around me with sea birds diving in every direction and right up to the shore line!
    Sun rise: 0706. Sun set: 1806 hrs.
    Moon: Waxing Gibbous.
    Surf: 1- 2 ft, Swell: 0.5 ft, Sets: 13 secs.
    Tide: OGT @ 1030 hrs 3.1 ft, LT @ 1248 hrs 0.9 ft, ICT @ 1430 hrs 0.1 ft.
    Terrain: flat, wide sandy beach, no structure and only an outside trench.
    Assault tactics: St. Croix 9'-6", 8-17 lb, Shamano Stradic 3000 CI4 reel with 15# flouro-carbon line and a drop shot set up.
    iSolunar:

After texting with my SWAT and FNN Brotha's over the early morning hours....I decided to hit up Baja Fish Gear in Lomita in order to pick up some drop shot supplies and then head out to my selected AO. My feet were wet by 1130 hrs.

Note: A special thanks to my S.W.A.T brothers- Wingnut and Lt Bones and my FNN Brother- fishshep for taking the time of explain the drop shot techniques to me; an avid LC thrower, and for getting me dialed in on the does and don't s of what gear to purchase solely by their experiences.

The positive thing about today was the surf and tide conditions were epic and I was now feeling hopeful again! I gave a quick thanks to Poseidon and stepped into the salt......I immediately began my fan casting routine and worked my way up the beach in one direction and then back the other way from where I came. I had quite a few hits, some good hard pull downs with out any takers....but some how I was able to beach (7) seven pancakes and (1) Lizard fish. No pictures taken of the pancakes ...what would be the point??.

I was rapidly approaching my departure time with nothing but pancakes under my belt once again and some how I kept convincing myself that "if I just cast in that direction one more time" ...well....this went on at least 30 or 50 casts..... when suddenly my rod tip pulls slow and heavy......and I think to my self...."sea weed???" and all of a sudden... ZZZZZzz followed by head shakes....Oh Yeah...Baby...it's on!
    It was making line pulls to the left ZZzzzz and then to the right ZZzzzz...I calmed down once I knew I had a good hook set!

I finally got it to the front of the waves after approx 12 minutes of battling it and I quickly made the tail grab at 1515 hrs! "Oh...MAN'!...I couldn't believe it's size......it taped out at 31-inches, weighed 12.8 pounds and it became my new PB after waiting 1 3/4 years for this moment in time. Thank you Poseidon!

After a quick CPR I fished for a little while longer and then headed home quite content.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my new PB!

SP Dan <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan; 10-29-2012 at 05:56 AM.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have definitely been putting in some time over this summer. You were DUE!!! Absolutely awesome my friend! I had to change tactics to get my first legal of the summer. With all the wind we were having today, the LC was gonna be tough to fling. That dropshot had paid off for both of us. I can't be any happier for you.

Congratulations DAN!!!!!
    Don

Look at you brotha....... The smile says it all. It took me much longer to join the 30" club my friend and I could tell you were on a mission. In the morning we were discussing dropshot techniques while you were shopping for some new weapons. You hit your AO with determination and a PB in your cross hairs buddy! She was lucky that you only interrogated her and sent her back to warn all flatties in the area that you will be back some day but as a true SWAT member you lived by the code that we must ALWAYS release our PB flattie out of respect. Great job Dan but now you have raised the bar......shall we say a 42" in those cross hairs!!!
    You definately have what it takes .... Determination and Desire but more important.....You LOVE to FISH! It shows in every way.

WOW.... A striper from the sand and then a 55" Leo and now a PB flattie. I can't wait to see what you are going to pull off by the end of the year!

Keep up the good work and see you soon on the sand my friend!
    Last edited by bones; 10-26-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Congratulations Dan

At 6 pm the wind was really blowing and the surf was up (overhead) at Torrance.
    Lots of kelp down there lately, you must of been more north.
    Great job on the PB.
    DR

Well DR he must not of come this far North! The sea has looked like something out of a novel. Add great quotes Here ( )

Well Dan that sounds like a great fish to add to your PB list. I respect your efforts even more in the conditions we have been having. It also shows that the season is not over yet.

A lot of fun on the Drop Shot set up huh? I have used it a lot up this way. When you get bit, you get to become more involved in the hook set. Keeps you on your toes

Congrats

WWO
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 10-26-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Congratulations Dan! That is a beast! After all the time put in, it has finally payed off. I look forward to the day I get my next PB, hopefully it's not another year and a half away, haha. Great meeting you and the wife at HG4, its a shame it had to be at the end of the day though.
    Last edited by LuckyCraft420; 10-26-2012 at 02:46 PM.

YEAH DANO WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How sweet buddy, sorry we missed being there but, as usual, your report puts us right there.......too cool buddy, Congrats!
    What where ya using on the drop-shot?

Congratulations on your new PB. Well earned and deserved.
    I’m sure it had something to do with all that positive energy you gave out to the kids at HG4 fish off.
    Can’t wait for the picture and your new PB to come.

Congrats on a new PB Hali! You put in the time and did your homework. It was nice meeting you at HG4 also!

Dan,

Reading your post this morning put a smile on my face and I can't be more happy for a guy who has worked his tail off in the surf.......CONGRATULATIONS!

I've enjoyed all of your text updates all throughout this summer and you are very deserving of your new PB halibut. Way to go Dan!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast