Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 12 guides on short baitcasting rod?

Default 12 guides on short baitcasting rod?

On the cover of the new Bassmaster magazine, BASS pro Brent Chapman is shown catching a bass using a fairly short yellow baitcasting rod (Wright & McGill?) that has 12 guides and tip. Is this the latest innovation for bc rods? Will it perform any better with that many guides or is it just for looks? Lots of guides do make a rod look nice and usually show that it is custom made.

While it's not new, yes, if the guides are properly spaced and of good quality, casting distance will be increased...

I haven't seen the picture, but most likely it's a microguide rod. It's difficult to keep the line from passing under the blank without using quite a few guides.

If it's not a microguide rod, that many guides will make the rod action stiffer. Every time a guide is wrapped on a rod it impacts the bend of the rod, especially if you double wrap the guides or use double footed guides. I don't think it impacts graphite rods as much as the old fiberglass rods.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    If it's not a microguide rod, that many guides will make the rod action stiffer. Every time a guide is wrapped on a rod it impacts the bend of the rod, especially if you double wrap the guides or use double footed guides. I don't think it impacts graphite rods as much as the old fiberglass rods.
    I couldn't agree more. More guides only diminish the performance of a rod, especially light rods.