Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop 30

Default Prop 30

I'm not aware if this prop has been discussed and beat to death but here is your chance.
    Your thoughts.

I am all for it, and I would be even if I weren't a teacher. Our schools have taken too many hits over the years, and education is the basis of a good economy, an enlightened public and a knowledgable electorate. I have seen first-hand the effects of our poor school funding here in California, as a community college teacher. We have had many classes cut and some people have lost their jobs. (Now, how is that good for an economic recovery and job growth?) I have seen reports and heard first hand reports of how parents and teachers -- those who can afford it -- have been buying books, computers and other equipment on their own, that the schools should be paying for.

By the way, vote no on 32. It's a trick being sponsored by superpacs.

No on 30, yes on 32, no on 38 and no on any bond issues. Money will not solve the problem only REFORM will. Use Google to see all of the surveys and stats on failing performance of students in relation to increased money over the years. They are in opposite directions, it’s a fact. Parents should be given vouchers and seek out what best fits their child’s needs. We were sold a bill of goods on the Lotto and Indian Gaming also.

Parochial and private schools outperform public schools in every category. Having spent a number of years as a walk on coach in the public school system I have seen it all, the good the bad and the very very ugly. The dirty little secret in High School sports is the recruiting done by parochial schools to get great athletes from the lower socio economic areas into their school athletic program. These students cannot afford the tuition but benefactors always come up with the money. Oh and these minority student thrive in the new environment and most go on to college.

School failure is not about a lack of money it’s about a lack of leadership, lack of reform and lack of parental interest/support. Solve those issues first and then get back to me about the money issue!!!

Ah yes, the old ' throw money at the problem until it goes away' tactic. Way to think outside the box. Our teachers are already paid the highest in the nation, yet we have the lowest test scores and highest drop out rates. Money isn't the issue. I doubt buying the school a box of ipads and a extra field trip a year will change that. The parents need to take an active role in their kids' education for an improvements to be seen. Of course they'll have to actually put down the crack pipe and acknowledge the punks' existence first.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    The parents need to take an active role in their kids' education for an improvements to be seen.
    POPPYCOCK!!

I thought that's what schools and role models like football players and rappers were for.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Ah yes, the old ' throw money at the problem until it goes away' tactic. Way to think outside the box. Our teachers are already paid the highest in the nation, yet we have the lowest test scores and highest drop out rates. Money isn't the issue. I doubt buying the school a box of ipads and a extra field trip a year will change that. The parents need to take an active role in their kids' education for an improvements to be seen. Of course they'll have to actually put down the crack pipe and acknowledge the punks' existence first.
    Here's a thought, take more money away from schools and watch the results. How many people think that the test scores will actually go up? Don't be afraid to raise your hands on that one.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.

If your a liberal don't bother to read the propositions, I'll tell you how to vote. No on 32, Yes on everything else.

Etucker, actually, I heard a lady go over the propositions on a liberal radio station, and she only recommended voting yes on about half of them. I haven't been over them that thoroughly yet myself, but her analysis seemed reasonable and she is the head of a liberal group. I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or what with your previous reply.

Devore Flyer, one of the problems with your post, you suggested yourself when you said that private schools recruit high school athletes and pay their tuitions. There actually isn't much difference in performance between private and public schools, and what there is, is attributable to the fact that private schools are able to attract a higher caliber of students in the first place. Thus, it's the students, not the teachers. As any teacher can tell you, anybody can get great results with a room full of Harvard students, but the challenge is to teach something worthwhile to kids who aren't into school, whose parents aren't into school and aren't well educate themselves.

Second, "bad teachers" are rare. Teachers are doing a better job under the circumstances than you give them credit for, and they certainly aren't paid very well to do their job, regardless of the relative ranking of California teachers (where the cost of living is higher than in most places). The educational curriculum has changed over time; it must evolve to keep up with technology and society. I would say that is a kind of reform. There are also many researchers studying what teaching techniques work, and working on implementing them. Thus, I find vague references to "reform" of the educational system particularly unimpressive. What we really need is a major change in our culture. We need to value education the way that Asians do, rather than derogating it the way that too many Americans do. Then, our schools would get excellent results. But without adequate funding, they can never improve. Do you really expect that schools will do better with less money?

And yes, Skyler, money is the problem. It is directly traceable to Prop. 13, and several documentaries and invstigative articles have done so. Ever since Prop. 13 passed, funding for schools has diminished, and consequently, California's public schools have deteriorated.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 10-16-2012 at 03:18 PM.

This upcoming election has several poorly-drafted propositions. It's unfortunate, because I might have voted Yes on a couple of others if they hadn't tried to inject pet projects or other consumer-unfriendly clauses. At any rate, here is how I am voting:

30 No
    31 No
    32 No
    33 No
    34 No (with reservations)
    35 Yes
    36 Yes
    37 No
    38 No
    39 No (with reservations)
    40 Yes
    Last edited by Lady Quagga; 10-16-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Why are you voting no on numbers 30 and 38, Lady Quagga? I would expect you to vote yes on 30, at least, given how you are standing up for liberals on this site. I heard that 38 would tax people with incomes as low as $7000 for educational funding, so I not sure how I will vote on that one.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 10-16-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast