Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: stripers in tha lagoon.....................

I am told this is legit....doesn't surpirise me but I gaurentee U there are not many in there....

I'm sure it was a bycatch fishing for LMB.. (love to hear the story…that might help solidify the report)

I'm sure w/o doubt stripers have been put in there by anglers through the years but they will never thrive and reproduce due to the lakes conditions..
    (probably put in there recently as well)

It'll be funny to watch everyone banging at the lake in search of stripey...

I fished for years there and this is the 1st near confirmed event that i've heard of or seen
    (I say that cause I can personally neither confirm or deny the catch as I didn’t see it myself- but I’ve heard it’s legit from a couple peeps- just very out of the norm)

(don’t want to imply doubt-just stating my opinion)

SWEET catch regardless of any details..

way ta go there brutha...nice catch....nice feesh

SLAYAGE !
    Gary
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 10-16-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Haters gonna hate. Ditto to what Gary said. That place is gonna get blasted.

looks like an odd photo cuz he's holding it out at full arms length....photo doesn't look fake to me, just the image of the fish is far from the body...basically the fish is more in the foreground than what would be the optimum angle...thats what's causing the confusion

Huge lineside, congrats!

On a sidenote, is it common to catch stripers in the upper, and use the cleaning stations in the Lagoon to clean them?

Maybe he caught the striper at the upper lake then went to the lower lagoon to take a picture lol jk !! i dont see why there wouldnt be any stripers at the lower lagoon ..

Horse Pucky...........zoom in and look at the pole on the right. The tip is missing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    !! i dont see why there wouldnt be any stripers at the lower lagoon ..
    the lakes enviroment cannot support an ongoing growth of a striper population due to lack of current or depth in order for them to spawn....

this is fact and been disputed by those not in the know for years....in order to thrive the stripers need either :

1.Current to lay their eggs (broadcast spawners)
    2.Deep water to lay their eggs so they remain adrift (if they reach bottom they will silt and die-not hatch)

Through the years I'm sure some fertilized eggs made it through the turbines but once they hatch the LMB prey on them and as they are not in great #'s they are destined to fail in the reproduction cycles...it's probably the only time when the LMB actually have the upper hand due to enviroment....

Obviously theres been those who have released some stripers there...no doubt...if this in a bonafied catch that is probably the case here...

Again not confirming or denying....just throwin my 2 cents in (just my opinions)

PLUS add the summer heat that translates to oxygen depletion (due to ultra hot water) all due to the basin like lake....all adds up to no party for stripey
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 10-16-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    the lakes enviroment cannot support an ongoing growth of a striper population due to lack of current or depth in order for them to spawn....

this is fact and been disputed by those not in the know for years....in order to thrive the stripers need either :

1.Current to lay their eggs (broadcast spawners)
    2.Deep water to lay their eggs so they remain adrift (if they reach bottom they will silt and die-not hatch)

Through the years I'm sure some fertilized eggs made it through the turbines but once they hatch the LMB prey on them and as they are not in great #'s they are destined to fail in the reproduction cycles...it's probably the only time when the LMB actually have the upper hand due to enviroment....

Obviously theres been those who have released some stripers there...no doubt...if this in a bonafied catch that is probably the case here...

Again not confirming or denying....just throwin my 2 cents in (just my opinions)

PLUS add the summer heat that translates to oxygen depletion (due to ultra hot water) all due to the basin like lake....all adds up to no party for stripey
    That makes a lot of sense i completely agree with you !! yeah i am pretty sure somebody released a couple of stripers in there
    Why dont they stock the lower lagoon anymore ??

Secrets out, WFO stripers at the lagoon! I was talking to the lifeguards one day and she said that their not suppost to be in there but they sneak in. Very sneaky fish.

I still stand by a photoshop.

While I see it as an impossibility that stripers have never or do now live in the goon be it by human transplant or fertilized egg/fry taking the ride down the spillway.

I find it impossible to believe that the migration of the California stripers from the east coast via oak barrel on a train dumped into the san juaqiun river, migrating to the delta only to be sucked up into the aqueduct, through many pumping plants into quail lake, down to Pyramid, through pipes to elderberry, then through the powerplant into Castaic and they somehow magically stop at the Castaic dam and don't find a way into the goon... IMPOSSIBLE they "just stop"

As Gary says, conditions at the Goon are poor at best for a striper, but I believe the healthiest of stripers could survive.

I give you Lake Buena Vist here in Bakersfield. Used to have a large striper population, now a few a year caught. Lake temps run way hotter than the goon, a deep part of the lake is 6 ft.

Trailblazer caught a 30 lber out of it. I personally know of 4 other big fish caught in it..

I fully believe a striper or few could live by whatever means of transplant you choose.

Having said all of that, an over exuberant lifeguard, funny colors on the fish, odd looking left knee and left hand as I mentioned on top of BassRons first post has me finding it difficult to buy.

So call me hater if ya want, doesn't solve anything

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast