Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: BBL 10-06-2012 - Late Report

Default BBL 10-06-2012 - Late Report

Got back to Big Bear last weekend and only now getting a chance to post a report.

Weekend of the Trout tourney, but I wanted to keep hunting bass.

Saturday was lightly cloudy and breezy and I think that kept the action going. Launched from B's to fish the Pine Knot Jetty just before 6am - still dark when I launched. The bass were hitting whacky rigged plastic worms right off the bat - holding fairly tight to the rocks. Picked up a couple between 1 and 2 lbs when jmytuna arrived on the scene. He was working a range of tactics picking up a number of fish - a little on the smaller side, but more than me. At one point the popper was hot for him getting some nice high hits. I couldn't duplicate his success on the top-water. J landed 10 bass (maybe more). I only landed 6 or so (with a handful of crappie) but I didn't pick up any babies that morning. I started kicking back about 10am working a wooly bugger deep about 20 ft away from the rocks going parallel (expecting crappie) when blammo!!! I had something much bigger on. Took over 5 minutes to land it (you can see the bass with a fly in its lip in the net). Kept running deep down into the weeds - settled still at one point for about 30 seconds until I coaxed it back into action. Glad I didn't lose that one - it was lots of fun!!!! Weighed in at 2lbs 12 oz!!! Nice for a BBL bass on a small fly! Worked the same spot a little more with a plastic and landed one more before going home.

Sunday I started in the dark morning at Windy point (and it was pretty breezy) and only picked up a few baby bass and a ton of crappie hitting 7" plastic worms. Not happy with the slow action, I relocated back to Pine Knot Jetty to find J working the bass again. Sunday was bright and sunny - and no wind in that part of the lake - and the bass weren't behaving much. I landed some crappie, but couldn't land any bass - and I threw everything I had at them. [Note to self - don't forget to pack the dynamite next time].

Cheers,

Eric

Great job out there, from what I've heard about the Troutfest it sounds like you made a good choice to target the bass. Super pictures, love the one of the sunrise. Do you ever hit the boat docks in Boulder or Metcalf Bays?

Nice job out there Eric ..... Nice to hear the bass are still active and wanting to play. Good job on the 2.12. See ya soon

Bill

Matthew 4:19