Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skinner 10/8

Default skinner 10/8

hit the lake today. fish are definitely in transition. air temp and water temp have started to cool. as you can tell by the fog we've been getting. the fish should be getting thick in the east ends.

started off on the south shore working some productive tule lines. first cast with the CL8 5" clacker i got mangled by a striper. little guy only a couple of pounds. 18" -20"i pushed the arm out so you guys could get a glimpse of the bait. damn stripers dont stop moving!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cl888.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	37401

second cast get bit again ; striper about the same size 18"-20"

third cast again; same thing, another cookie cutter.

what the hell? haha. put the trolling motor on high to get away from them. finally worked down a tule stretch pretty close and decided to drop the 5" clacker and pick up the CL8 CB7". threw down the perfect tule line and right when the bait gets to this little point BAM!

yep.... another striper! same thing, nothing out of control; only a couple of pounds. What the F!!!? you can tell by my expression that im pissed same thing; pushed the bait and fish out so you guys can check them out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cl8888.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	37402

started jamming down the bank on full making specific casts here and there just to get away from them with nada.

switched locations; nada.

north shore; nada

east end; nada

ended up scratching fish on the swimbait here and there a little later but nothing of size. not even worthy of a picture. i know there are a lot of striper heads here so i figure id give you guys a heads up that the fish are packed up chasing right now.

i remember last year the bite did the same thing right before it went stupid. the morning was a total drop shot bite throwing 4"zoom watermelon candy worms then picking up the jerkbait and spinnerbait in the afternoon when the wind blew. i would pray every trip for the wind because without it ; it was flat out boring as hell! when the shad birds started invading the east end that signaled the fun bite. get up in the shallows and throw to your hearts content. i still think we're still early. 2 or 3 weeks and it will be epic.

all in all the bite sucked for me. no big fish and not much for numbers. didnt want to throw anything other than the swimmer so i stayed with a dead pattern for the day. oh well.

thanks for the report. was out there Saturday and seen a guy at the end of the day with 5 stripers about the size you are showing, he said he got them the same way on swimbaits. i was there for LMB so didnt go for mr stripy!

Quote Originally Posted by DBass View Post
    thanks for the report. was out there Saturday and seen a guy at the end of the day with 5 stripers about the size you are showing, he said he got them the same way on swimbaits. i was there for LMB so didnt go for mr stripy!
    yeah stripers only get my blood pumping around the stock. other than that; they're carp to me. haha

Thanks for this! I'm going there tomorrow for the stripers. Any boils seen? and are those CL8s slow sink or topwater?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Magnone View Post
    yeah stripers only get my blood pumping around the stock. other than that; they're carp to me. haha
    That's why I target both. Stripers early and LMB when I have enough jailbirds for food. A bud of mine called and told me the striper bite was on Saturday. He got a 7lber which is good for Skinner. BTW Ian He said between 7:00am and 10:30 he saw a number of boiling pods. Sheesh! Now another bait I need to buy. I'll be by Last Chance soon.
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 10-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Matt,
    Way to go yesterday. I threw at them Sunday for nothing but the big skunk and was throwing the CL8 5" along the tules. Waiting for the epic bite in two weeks during our tourney.

I hit skinner on sat. fished from shore off the horse trail side and saw HUGE bass chasing all the small bass they would sit under the lip of the rock and wait for a school to swim by and whamo!!! so i threw my lil shad lookin swim bait for not a damn thing but 1 chased it in like 3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime-Steve View Post
    I hit skinner on sat. fished from shore off the horse trail side and saw HUGE bass chasing all the small bass they would sit under the lip of the rock and wait for a school to swim by and whamo!!! so i threw my lil shad lookin swim bait for not a damn thing but 1 chased it in like 3 times
    sounds like you were by launch ramp 2. that was one of my patterns. i would get 2 opportunities throughout the day to get them to commit. in the low light and when the wind blew. other than that they would just follow. there were 6-10# fish doin it. i love seeing bigger fish in wolf packs!!!!!

One man's "trash" is another man's glory. I'll take 20" stripers all day long, I love that fish. Greens, oh, well says I-take 'em or leave 'em.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stocker View Post
    One man's "trash" is another man's glory. I'll take 20" stripers all day long, I love that fish. Greens, oh, well says I-take 'em or leave 'em.

I just started trying to catch striper this year and I would gladly take catching a few of these 20'' fish. Nice report Matt, thank you for posting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast