Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: skinner 10/3

Default skinner 10/3

hit the lake today with a buddy. decided to go big the whole day. knowing skinner, it could be epic or it could blow.

fishing today was an absolute grind. LOTS of hard work chucking the big stuff. bites pretty much cut and dry with this stuff right now. shallow main lake tule points with the correct angle of retrieve. if you miss the angle you wont get bit. if you try and double back on a spot; you wont get bit. one shot is all you got and you have to make it count. you could be a foot off the right line and the fish wont chew. if you just barely tick the tule lines ; bingo. it aint easy, but the fish are playing nice. and there are some good ones.

with the water at the level it is right now a lot of my favorite edge spots are in 20' of water. any other bite and i would be completely stoked but yeah. it was actually a chore finding usable water that played into my bite both yesterday and today. shallow banks with tules in less than 10' of water. most of the tule banks have edges in 20' or deeper and the fish dont seem to be responding on the deeper stuff.

here's a little guy from today. just got done explaining angles to anthony and how they made all the difference in the world. i told him i was gonna catch a fish on this next cast as all the 'signs' lined up. notice the wind direction, shade line, main lake tule point and bait. bingo. fish. fish was around 3 i wouldnt give it any more than that. didnt feel like editing so i just slapped it together for a quick FNN report. no big ones today but had a lot of fun screwing around.

here's what i was throwing. have fun out there guys and get some fish. were still a good month out from the fun bite so im gone. gotta let my boat dry for 8 days and back to diamond valley!!! cant afford to miss any more time out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thebaits.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	37369

Matt this is an outstanding report and it's nice to see what these baits look like, how you fish them, and then actually catching a quality fish on one. Quick question though what size are those three swimbaits you have in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by fish-hound View Post
    Matt this is an outstanding report and it's nice to see what these baits look like, how you fish them, and then actually catching a quality fish on one. Quick question though what size are those three swimbaits you have in the picture?
    thats what its all about. too many people get tight lipped about everything. no matter what, everybody knows everybody's spots and realistically, its not too hard to see what the other guy is using as are lakes just aren't that big enough to hide.

all 3 baits got the attention. the bait thats been doing most of the work has been the CL8 CB-7". very good bait on the slow wind.

from top to bottom:

CL8 bait CB-9"
    baby bass
    slow sink
    70# daiwa samurai
    Calcutta 400TE
    Dobyns Champion 908 HSB

CL8 bait CB-7"
    trout
    slow sink
    70# daiwa samurai
    Daiwa Lexa 300
    Dobyns Champion 807 HSB

CL8 bait 7" clacker
    trout
    slow sink
    50# power pro
    Daiwa Lexa 300
    Dobyns Champion 795 SBMT
    Last edited by Matt_Magnone; 10-03-2012 at 09:02 PM.

That's sick Matt!

Thanks for the vid and report!

Nice fish and vid Matt. I'll say it again, I love that pond when it's on. Good on you for giving great info dude!