Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Hook Removal Methods.

Thumbs up Emergency Hook Removal Methods.

Sooner or later you are going to get a hook stuck in part of your body. Ask me how I know. A good resource for the methods of hook removal can be found here.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0601/p2231.html
    Last edited by Wingnut; 10-03-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Title

Thanks for the info that we all hope we never have to use. A friend of mine recently got a hook in the tip of his finger while removing a Lucky Craft from a calico bass. He tried to pull it out with pliers with no success but had a sudden flash of inspiration and tried backing it out while rotating it; basically unscrewing it out of his finger. He said it popped right out with minimal pain. It might be worth a try if all else fails.

3. Default

Perfect link!

That's one reason to pay attention when you're casting, since that's when severe hook insertions can occur.
    Great link!

You might also think about wearing sunglasses to protect your eyes, just so something like this doesn’t happen to you!

Quote Originally Posted by fly addict View Post
    You might also think about wearing sunglasses to protect your eyes, just so something like this doesn’t happen to you!
    Sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses.

Glass shards aren't very fun to be having in your eye either.

(Crimping barbs also help)

Quote Originally Posted by fly addict View Post
    Ouch... That's hard to look at.

on a day boat in san diego I saw a deck hand get hooked by an errant cast right in the cheek. Not a pretty sight, he toughed it out the rest of the day though.
    Wearing glasses is a great idea, been teaching my son to cast recently, this could really be a disaster for both of us, thanks.

The only way someone is going to hook themselves bad is if they did not use barbless hooks for catch and release.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    The only way someone is going to hook themselves bad is if they did not use barbless hooks for catch and release.
    But what if you keep the barbs because you wanna keep the bass because you wanna piss off Bassproguy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast