Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orangemouth corvina; salton sea

Nice catches you got there DR. Were they easy to catch back then? Apparently the fishery was great during that time. Wished I had that opportunity, missed out on it when I was younger. Had many chances when I went with my uncles.
    Last edited by ityperx; 09-28-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Corvina are caught in SD bay pretty regularly.

As for the Salton Sea the OP is right (at least he's probably 99.99% right) that they died out there like 20 years ago. I'm thinking that they left the regs on the books for corvina in the Salton Sea in the very unlikely event (that .01%) that someone might accidentally catch one somehow. In all likelihood there are no corvina in the Salton Sea but its a big place and who know what's under the surface. I know, back in the day, when they were first trying to find fish to stock in the sea they tried stocking totuava (sometimes spelled totoaba) and deemed that a failure. However there were stories of people fishing for corvina and hooking into something that would spool them. No one ever landed one, or even saw one, but apparently there was some big freight trains in there occasionally spooling people. I'm thinking that F&G's thinking on this is it costs nothing to leave the regs on the books just in case.

BTW - for those that don't know here's a picture of some tortuava from the Gulf of California, looks like maybe in the 1930's...

...and another from around 1953 at San Felipe...

Last edited by Fish Dog; 09-28-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4keep View Post
    Two totally different fish. CorBina is caught regularly (harder for some) in our surf. CorVina is caught in SD county. That will be your best chance locally at getting one.
    Yeah I've caught one by accident a corbina I mean(which doesn't necessarily knock it off my bucket list, just never a corvina. SD county only, none in any LA/OC area? I'll have to look into that and do more research. Thanks for the heads up fish4keep.

Thanks for sharing Fish Dog, Love history especially history of marine life. Those are truly some giants.

I'm thinking that they left the regs on the books for corvina in the Salton Sea in the very unlikely event (that .01%) that someone might accidentally catch one somehow. In all likelihood there are no corvina in the Salton Sea but its a big place and who know what's under the surface.
    You might be on to something there about the status of the regulation. Anywho thanks again. I might have to try and tube the bay one day.

If you think about it its happened before. The coelacanth was considered extinct for millions of years until one was caught in 1938. You just never know I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    If you think about it its happened before. The coelacanth was considered extinct for millions of years until one was caught in 1938. You just never know I guess.
    Hmm, that's right. Not just in 1938, but recently as far back as 10 years ago I think. Off the coast of Africa if memory serves me well.

EDIT: I was dead wrong, Last known capture was in 07 in indonesia.
    Last edited by ityperx; 09-28-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ityperx View Post
    Nice catches you got there DR. Were they easy to catch back then? Apparently the fishery was great during that time. Wished I had that opportunity, missed out on it when I was younger. Had many chances when I went with my uncles.
    I never fished the sea. Photobucket pics I jacked. Lived in Brawley for 3 1/2 years and worked 1/4 mile from the Sea. The Salton Sea is nasty and smells. Being fed by the most polluted river in N America the New River. Don't know why anyone would eat those toxic Tilapia even with the Gov saying you can eat so many ounces a week.

2 to 3 min, must see.

DR

My fishing partner used to go down to Salton on a regular basis. The last time that he locked into Corvina was 2002. The Sea at one point was once considered America's greatest fishery. Trust me, if I were a billionaire I would be doing some resurrecting.

The fish (orange mouth corvina)that were planted in the salton sea came from the gulf of California Mexico. If you go down to San Filipe Mexico and fish you can still catch these great eating fish. 25 years ago my last covina vacation to the southern end of the salton sea Red Hill Island state park now Dec. 1987 was a blast. We caught and ate all the orange mouth covina we wanted. While hunting ducks along the shore line of the sea we we surprised to find so many 25 to 50 pound corvina fish dead on the beach! What killed them I do not know be I saw this with my own eyes. The cobina off the LA coast are not the same fish. The contaminated rivers that dump into the Salton Sea are the Alamo River & New river from Mexico. I do not think there is any hope for the once great fishing Salton Sea.
    JG

Those are California Corbina

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast