Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trolling spped for stripers

Default trolling spped for stripers

any-one know, or want to share the optimal trolling speed for stripers right now. the reason i ask is my boat will only troll down to 3mph right now and need to get a kicker for next year, but would like to go try some trolling friday. just dont want to wast my $$$ if i cant troll slow enough. i hate that you cant edit titles

You'll want to troll at about half that speed, depending on the lure. I get the best action at about 1.5 mph or so. If you can't slow it down, try dragging something with resistance like a tarp, lol.

I think as slow as you can go would do it, or 1.5 miles an hour.....

i trolled at 3mph this past weekend at pyramid and casaic did very well.

3 mph is fine!

1.5 in the winter,,

Though Im of the opinion 4-5 is optimum on a good bite, we've got fish at 8 mph on a quick juant to the next point..

Do not over estimate fast and slow speeds. There is no "correct" speed

I always troll at 3mph +-. When following a moving boil accross the lake with my trolling motor the whole school averages..... you guessed it 3mph by my GPS. That speed is actually kinda slow for a hunting jailbird. Of course to each their own....

hey thanks for the input guys. i thought about bringing a 5 gal bucket and some rope to slow me down. i have a 13.5' gregor with a 20 hp merc on it, and gps the trolling speed at 2.7-3.0 mph. gonna get me a little 3hp for trolling. if the wife is cool with it, i will be on castaic or pyramid friday.

I don't know I'm as slow as you can go kind of a guy but when trolling from a kayak that's probably to conserve energy more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    hey thanks for the input guys. i thought about bringing a 5 gal bucket and some rope to slow me down. i have a 13.5' gregor with a 20 hp merc on it, and gps the trolling speed at 2.7-3.0 mph. gonna get me a little 3hp for trolling. if the wife is cool with it, i will be on castaic or pyramid friday.
    just throw a happy troller on it. and it will keep the bow down at top speed also.

One set constant speed is not the optimal trolling method.

Just as burning a crank or slow rolling one, trolling is a reaction strike.

Don't hang up on trolling the same speed 24/7 365...

Bites change, speeds should adapt with it.

But feel free to continue doing the constant thang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast