Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orangemouth corvina; salton sea

Default Orangemouth corvina; salton sea

Has anyone else noticed that on dfg site, they still have corvina listed under their bag limit regulation for salton sea. I thought that fish died out long before the 90s. From what I've noticed since my last fishing trip there, there was only one type of species living in that condition. The Tilapia. I haven't caught anything else there besides that fish, or is it a seasonal thing out there? I went between the months of Feb-March. Summer time is killer out there so I didn't bother. No Croakers, no Sargo, and especially no Corvina.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/Fr...5_20-5_51.html

There's no other place to catch these beautiful fish, correct? I mean their basically surf type fish but I don't often hear reports of one being caught.
    Last edited by ityperx; 09-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ityperx View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that on dfg site, they still have corvina listed under their bag limit regulation for salton sea. I thought that fish died out long before the 90s. From what I've noticed since my last fishing trip there, there was only one type of species living in that condition. The Tilapia. I haven't caught anything else there besides that fish, or is it a seasonal thing out there? I went between the months of Feb-March. Summer time is killer out there so I didn't bother. No Croakers, no Sargo, and especially no Corvina.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/Fr...5_20-5_51.html

There's no other place to catch these beautiful fish, correct? I mean their basically surf type fish but I don't often hear reports of one being caught.
    Yeah, perhaps the DFG is a wee bit under staffed when it comes to having actual research data and some inconsistencies may or may not exist on their website.

Oh, and the Over/Under for a DockRat appearance on this post has been set to 3.5 posts, +250 for the under. Call your bookies now.

Covina are being caught up and down the coast by fly fishermen quite regularly. They are still very shy and difficult to hook up but they are being caught and released right here in SoCal.

Woah hold on there, I know there under staffed, I'm not hear to start an argument. It was just my observation. It's been 20 years since the last sighting of those species.

You make it seem like I'm not allowed to present a source to what I've wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Covina are being caught up and down the coast by fly fishermen quite regularly. They are still very shy and difficult to hook up but they are being caught and released right here in SoCal.
    Now this is information is new to me. I've seen reports of corbina being caught just hardly any corvina. Thanks for sharing that Viejo.

You make it seem like I'm not allowed to present a source to what I've wrote.
    No no, not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact, I applaud anglers who question the validity of sources instead of automatically assuming it's a fact because the website it came from ends in .gov.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    No no, not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact, I applaud anglers who question the validity of sources instead of automatically assuming it's a fact because the website it came from ends in .gov.
    Oh, yeah it was something I noticed while researching on the species. BTW, I've been trying to find more infos on the fish but there' isn't enough data out there. I've been trying to knock them off my bucket list for awhile now. Any help would be grateful, such as the right season or just start me off on the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I wasn't too sure where to place the thread. Mod's thanks for moving it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Call your bookies now.

DR

Corvina at 6:35 min.

Last edited by DockRat; 09-28-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Now this is information is new to me. I've seen reports of corbina being caught just hardly any corvina. Thanks for sharing that Viejo.
    Two totally different fish. CorBina is caught regularly (harder for some) in our surf. CorVina is caught in SD county. That will be your best chance locally at getting one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast