Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Upgrading reels (supertuning)

Default Upgrading reels (supertuning)

So this is a question that probably recycles quite a bit, but I am in need of your input.

I recently purchased a Shimano Stradic FJ 3000 and a Shimano Chronarch 200e7. Love both of these reels for the specific tasks that they are meant for.

I have been getting advice and researching about carbontex drags, new bearings, etc...and would like to know what your take is.

I read that upgrading drag washers are a good investment and fairly easy to do. I also see that upgrading the bearings to boca ceramic bearings seem to allow a significant increase in free spool time. The dilemma is that if something were to happen to these reels and I take them into Shimano, wouldn't Shimano refuse to replace them since I performed the upgrades? I know, you can always take the parts out and take them into Shimano with the OEM parts but are the upgrades worth the hassle? Will I be that much happier having performed the upgrades?

The Stradic would have enhanced Drag smoothness from Carbontex Drag washers..
    No spool bearing to worry about....

I always recommend the Drag upgrade to everyone!! Carbontex are awesome.
    Run smoother, cooler, last a lifetime, Cals grease and they are so smooth at start up you never even know when they start to slip... Major improvement....

The Chronarch 200e7, will also be improved with Carbontex in the same way...

The Hybrid Ceramic 'Spool' Bearings (Ceramic Balls, SS Races - like Orange Seal #7) are a great improvement if you cast light weights or cast all day often as a tourney angler... Less energy, less fatigue...
    They allow for easier start up and lighter weights to start the bearing turning, or less energy to cast...
    it can add 10% to distance also. A lot depends on what weights your casting & line used etc etc...

A beginner or intermediate angler, or one who doesnt fish ALL the time may never notice the Diff in the bearing upgrade...
    One Reel, do it (the bearing upgrade) - and use that info for your other reels....

http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html

As far as "Super Tuning" by Polishing Pinion, Shaft, shaft end, drag plates....
    Those parts perfectly Super Polish themselves in a very short time.
    I would not waste my time or money to do it or pay some one to do that....

I hate the stock drags and have upgraded all my reels with carbontex drags. The stock dartanium drags would stick quite often. As far as the bearings go, I upgraded one of my reels to ABEC 7's but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I upgraded the bearings specifically to throw lighter stuff.

The parts don't polish themselves like I polish them to a mirror shine, nor do the drag surfaces. I even smooth and polish the area on the pinion gear where the pin on the spool shaft engagues the gear witch creates a smoother more positive feel when engaging or dissengaging the spool. Abec 5 or 7 bearings help a lot if you run zero spool tention, I think it helps at the end of a cast just before the bait hits the water. Only way for you to know if supertuning is for you is to try 2 reels side by side, one tuned and one not tuned. You can also get a better feel from the factory spool bearings by removing one shield, cleaning very well with solvent to remove all factory grease and contaminants then let it dry and apply about 1/4 of a drop of an oil of your choice. Some guys like hotsauce, I don't personally. I really like oust metoil.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    The parts don't polish themselves like I polish them to a mirror shine, nor do the drag surfaces. I even smooth and polish the area on the pinion gear where the pin on the spool shaft engagues the gear witch creates a smoother more positive feel when engaging or dissengaging the spool.
    Aren't you worried about voiding the warranty?

I know people who have had their reels refused free service because of the polishing, which voids manufacturer's warranties.

Is that extra 4 feet you get in a cast worth it?