Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Modified carolina rig

Default Modified carolina rig

I'm sure this is not a novel idea, but i was wondering if anyone had thoughts about adding a hook to the tradtional carolina rig so that you can add a bigger lure/worm/whatever on the end hook.

I have seen people adding a grub or camo sw and tying on a swimbait chaser, but this suggested rig is different. On a swimbait chaser rig, the swimbait is on a leadhead so the weight is at the end of the leader. I am suggesting that a traditional carolina rig, with the sliding sinker above the leader, be tied with another hook halfway between the sinker and the end hook. This way i can hook a bigger gulp bait like a 3" shrimp to chase a 2" sandworm. I am either hoping for a double hook up or target bigger fish with the larger bait and smaller fry with the intermediate hook so that skunk is not a likely option.

Let me know your thoughts!

tangles... thats all i can think of friend, but go for it,see what happens. i snell two circle hooks on to my C-rigs for big ole leos and dog fish. that second hook really keeps that anchovy on and ensures a few more hook ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbytuba View Post
    tangles... thats all i can think of friend, but go for it,see what happens. i snell two circle hooks on to my C-rigs for big ole leos and dog fish. that second hook really keeps that anchovy on and ensures a few more hook ups.
    Yeah. Was thinking about that too. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Yeah. Was thinking about that too. Thanks for the input.
    If the surf is calm enough I like to use a double fluke rig.

I'll take a barrel swivel and tie on a 6-7 inch leader and a tie on wide gap hook, then slip it on the line like I would with an egg sinker, then tie on another swivel, then a 12-16 inch leader, and tie on a 1/8 oz jighead, with a fluke or grub. This wont tangle badly, when it does, you just give the rod a jiggle, and it unwraps easily.

You can use a bead to stop the swivels from hitting each other.

I do this in freshwater without weight, or beads, and it works great for largemouth and trout.