Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Careful of what the Landings are posting for fish counts

Default Careful of what the Landings are posting for fish counts

Just back from a 1.5 day trip, where the landing posted 51 yellowtail, 30 YFT, ll Dorado and 5 skipjack. All true, but what they don't tell you is that only a few fish were over 15lbs. Most of the YT you would be embarrassed to keep. The YFT were mostly 8-12lbs. The boat was way over crowded and they had a short handed crew--had to wait for a gaff most of the time.

The price of fuel has really put a burden on this sport.

Hopefully, this Nov. we can get a leader who will help with the cost of energy, not keep the same one who wants the cost per gallon to be $7

X2

I did a 3/4 day trip out of Point Loma, I called to get some info and they said size 2/0 hooks and 25-30lb line. They were hooking up YT and DoDo but didn't let you know the size though.

I was thinking, dam, these fishes must be super hunger or of good size to be biting on that thick of a line. Well, got on the boat, they rally us up and showed up the ropes on how to hook the bait and so on, and then it happened, they said that the YT and DoDo are ranging anywhere from 2lbs to 7lbs, then I was like WTF, why the heck do we need the 25-30lb line for then on these rats, oh wells.

Lol. I agree. I went on a 1.5 and the boat yeilded only 1 BFT on the troll and roughtly 15 YT's about 5-7lbs. Before this, I didn't even know Yellowtails "started" off that small. Lol. I guess I have always been lucky enough to hook up to a homeguard Yellow. I was on a 3/4 day and only 2 YT's were boated. One of those being mine, that went 32lbs. They weight wasn't mentioned either. So I guess as long as they are consistent with keeping the weights of the fish a secret be it big or small is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by twcthfsh View Post
    Just back from a 1.5 day trip, where the landing posted 51 yellowtail, 30 YFT, ll Dorado and 5 skipjack. All true, but what they don't tell you is that only a few fish were over 15lbs. Most of the YT you would be embarrassed to keep. The YFT were mostly 8-12lbs. The boat was way over crowded and they had a short handed crew--had to wait for a gaff most of the time.

The price of fuel has really put a burden on this sport.

Hopefully, this Nov. we can get a leader who will help with the cost of energy, not keep the same one who wants the cost per gallon to be $7
    If they really were that size than why would u even need a gaff LOL ? this is a useless post...typical internet fisherman

What boats and landings are you guys going on? I fish a few 1.5-2 days a year and my last 1.5 day was out of seaforth on the Aztec and we did great. It was about 2 weeks ago and the jackpot YFT was just over 33lbs. I got 3 YFT 2 just over 15 and the largest 18. Of course I did have to throw back a few rat YT, but that's a given no matter where you go.

My buddy just got back from a 1.5 that left Friday and he nailed a 38lb YFT and didn't even win the jackpot.

As far as setup I typically go with 3 all 3 use 65lb braid, but I use 25, 35, and 45lb flouro leaders. When the fishing it tough I drop down to the 25 setup and when on WFO patties I use the larger setup and simply flip my fish into the boat. This way your not standing around waiting for a gaff when you can be on additional fish.

Fish counts NEVER tell you anything about weights, but some boats do go further and spend more fuel to get the bigger fish. The key is to know what boats those ones are and to try and get on them. However most of the best boats do sell out 4-6 weeks ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysher View Post
    X2

I did a 3/4 day trip out of Point Loma, I called to get some info and they said size 2/0 hooks and 25-30lb line. They were hooking up YT and DoDo but didn't let you know the size though.

I was thinking, dam, these fishes must be super hunger or of good size to be biting on that thick of a line. Well, got on the boat, they rally us up and showed up the ropes on how to hook the bait and so on, and then it happened, they said that the YT and DoDo are ranging anywhere from 2lbs to 7lbs, then I was like WTF, why the heck do we need the 25-30lb line for then on these rats, oh wells.

Trust me, if you got hooked into a good yellowtail, you would be glad to have 25 at a minimum. Always have to be prepared for that fish of a lifetime. Never know when it will bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Poxy Boggards View Post
    Trust me, if you got hooked into a good yellowtail, you would be glad to have 25 at a minimum. Always have to be prepared for that fish of a lifetime. Never know when it will bite.
    Exactly I recall reading about an overnighter this year that landing some 50+ lb Blue Fin. Apparently a lot of the guys where fishing light lines and 4-5 lines got snapped within seconds of getting hooked up however one guy had a heavy setup that he quickly pulled off the rack and was ready to do battle. I almost never use my big setups, but it's nice to know I have it on deck if I ever need to.

Thursday we only gaffed one 20 lb YT.
    About 20 YT were bounced on the deck 5 to 10 lbs.
    DR