Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Adding another rod...

Default Adding another rod...

...and I need help choosing the right one for the job.

Currently I have a 6'6" light tackle spinning setup I use for drop shot and t-rigging worms w/o weight and a 6'6" med-light baitcast topwater setup. Both are too light to throw 1/2oz jigs with trailers as they get overloaded on a cast.

I would like to add another baitcaster outfit to the arsenal but I'm not sure what to get as far as the spec of the rod goes. I would like to get something that will cover the 1/2oz jigs plus trailers and something that can handle swim baits as well. Maybe even be able to flip/pitch with too.

Perhaps one rod won't cover all the angles here?

Go with the Falcon Original H 7 ft, Great all around rod, and for $89 @Tackle Warehouse, you can't beat it

thanks christopherstellar...

what are your thoughts on a swimbait setup? same rod? what about a reel?

Personally I throw my swimbaits on a Californian X Heavy. It was on sale at Turners for $90 and I don't throw swimbaits enough to buy a G Loomis or Lamiglas. For a reel I use a Shimano Curado 300 spooled with 40 lb Suffix Braid. I also use a 20 lb floro leader about 24 inches in length. You want a 8 ft rod because it makes it easier to throw your bait a long way, the Californian fit the bill for me. I also just took it with me to the salt, where I caught several 8-10 lb yellows and dorado on it, so its versatile and saves me money by being dual purpose.
    And PS, call me Chris...lol

Quote Originally Posted by rob.villanueva View Post
    ...and I need help choosing the right one for the job.

Currently I have a 6'6" light tackle spinning setup I use for drop shot and t-rigging worms w/o weight and a 6'6" med-light baitcast topwater setup. Both are too light to throw 1/2oz jigs with trailers as they get overloaded on a cast.

I would like to add another baitcaster outfit to the arsenal but I'm not sure what to get as far as the spec of the rod goes. I would like to get something that will cover the 1/2oz jigs plus trailers and something that can handle swim baits as well. Maybe even be able to flip/pitch with too.

Perhaps one rod won't cover all the angles here?
    I won't get into brands because there are soooo many good ones now, but as for specs for the multi use rod you describe I'd be looking at a 7' MH with fast action. You don't want a slower, moderate action rod for pitching or jigging. If you are throwing a smaller swimbait it'll do that too, but any 4oz or bigger bait should be thrown on a dedicated swimbait rod. As for a swimbait reel I just went through that myself. The Calcutta 400TE is highly recomended but kinda pricey. I ended up with a Revo Torro and really like it. I have to say too that a guy I know from Skinner is throwing his swimmers on a Muskie reel he got at BPS for like $89 and he can get it out there too.
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 09-15-2012 at 06:49 AM.