Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Best Place to get bait?

Default Best Place to get bait?

Trying to find the best place to get my bait this season without having to drive 50+ miles.

Where does everyone get their bait, and how much do you pay?

Default depends wat u looking for...

local asian markets hv variety fish , salmon heads, fresh macks usually $1lb if ur lucky.. also fish markets that sell n cook to order... if u fish boats tip deck hand to bucket all the scraps instead of tossing over to da birds..... also depends how much freezr space u have n how much wifey will let u put in there b4 the complaints start

done, done, and done. :)

I hear the commercial guys pay @ $.50/lb. I've been getting my stuff from a local Asian market for $.99/lb, but was just trying to see what everyone else is paying. I guess that isn't too bad, considering it is only 5 miles from my house. If I drove to the coast, it would be anywhere between 80-150 mile rd trip.

I know some of the sport boats, so I can get carcasses no prob...but my bait freezer is small and the smaller 10-inch sized whole bait stores easier, and I can fit more too. It is probably time to upgrade my freezer!

Thanks for the reply and tips!!

yeah.. i agree with u.. kinda weird... seems the beach areas/docks/markets along the so cal beaches are more pricey$$ than the local asian markets inland cant figure that one out??... seen up to $2-$3 just for scraps like captn kid, san pedro fish market etc...... try el monte superstore warehouse garvey/rosemead blvd.. n while there drool on the vast tanks of live fish swimming around. huge lingcods, sheephds etc..., local n maine lobsters at cheap prices almost make u wanna buy the fish instead of catching it!!!!!! my deuce cents

Pre-load your bait into bait cages then freeze them...You'll get a lot more bait stacked in the freezer that way and no eye's of dead fish staring at your wife, every time she opens the freezer.
    It's also really quick to set up and load the nets, especially if you have bait cage clips on them...it literally just takes minutes.
    Jim / Saba Slayer
    Last edited by Saba Slayer; 09-14-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Good point on the cages...I used to do that before I got my bait freezer. The "eyes" didn't bother my wife, it was the SMELL.

I can get all the bait u guys want for .50 to a buck a lb depending on how much u need

Where at? And is it fresh on ice / or frozen ? Whom to contact ..? Wholesale/retail ?

Thnx in advance

There is a fish receiving dock on Terminal Island on the corner of
    S Seaside Dr and Wharf St. They sell 50 lb boxes of mackerel.
    Not sure of the price. I'll get the info and post it.
    DR