Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Gear Oil Recommendations?

Default Gear Oil Recommendations?

Just wanted to see if I could survey the form and find out what gear oil you folks recommend for preventative maintenance. I have Shimano reels and recently ran out of the oil that comes with them. Also, what steps do you take after use in saltwater with primarily freshwater equipment? I just wipe them down with a wet cloth and then oil the bearings and reel handle. Also, would using a product like Reel Magic help if applied before saltwater use? Thanks.

I like oust met-oil for my bearings and cal's grease for gears. When I service my reels, I like to put a little extra grease in all the holes where water might be able to enter the reel. As far as cleaning after use I button down the drag and and lightly spray the reel with water. I dry it then I back off the drag all the way and put it away. The only time I add oil to my bearings is when I feel that it's not performing the way it should and at this point I'm doing a full service.

I've never used Reel Magic so I can't answer that one.

For gears, I just use Penn reel grease. For bearings and some other moving parts, I'd go with Quantum hot sauce oil. As for after saltwater use, I'd just water it down and wipe them. I'll open up the reels every once in a while to give them a full service though.

The majority of water enters a Reel between the Spool & Frame (in most cases).
    Fresh & Salt, I 'pre-use' Service my Reels... (even brand new, right out of the box)
    If saltwater long range or Traveling to destinations (like Cabo Etc) When I get home I may even soak my Reels in a bucket or sink to dissolve the Salt Crystals...
    But always rinse them very well with Fresh water, much more then a light spray off..

I use a variety of Oils and greases..

Oils;
    Oust
    TSI 301 & 321 (best & longest lasting so far)
    SaltX
    ReelX

Grease:
    Evinrude/Johnson MARINE
    Yamaha MARINE
    LubriMatic MARINE
    Cals Drag Grease..

Its also important to know WHERE to put Oil or Grease, and how much..
    Grease & Oil Migrate and end up in the wrong places...