Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wassup with the carp?

Default Wassup with the carp?

I just dont like how people could just say stuff like "toss the carp into the trash can","carp is trash".
    I just dont get why we are doing that? You wanna get it out from the water? Go ahead. Bowfishing, ok. Doughbait, ok. Flyfishing, sure. Snag em out the water and just toss em in the trash can. Does that make you a hero? I dont think. I treat everything with respect. I just hope respect fishing and themselves. Make use of the fish you catch or just release it.
    Carp haters can bash me now go ahead

I'm not going to hate on you because I feel the same way as you do. Fish for them .,eat them give them away or just release it because just throwing in the trash makes no sence to me as well it's the sport of fishing be it carp bass bluegill or catfish fishing is fishing I don't eat bluegill or catfish.but I would never throw it in the trash I release it for someone else to enjoy and catch another day. Just my 2 cents.

i only catch and keep on occasion, like a big cat or a mess of pan fish. ive eaten carp before sort tasteless so there is no reason to keep them but that doesent mean throw them awsay. but. there is a pond up the street from me that i used to fish in all the time. some people thought it would be great if they released a few of them up there... they destroyed the bass and pan fish population because of they would destroy their nests. so i can see killing anyfish in the hopes of keeping an ecosystem stable... my 2 cents

Here we go again! Most do not want to kill for no reason but there are tournaments put on to kill as many as possible with the intent of lowering an invasive species (carp) population. It's not a hatred of the carp I can appreciate the game aspects of catching carp, but it is for population control. Not enough people want to take carp for food purposes (not a prized fish in this country for table fair) so they are not targeted and are beyond prolific.

You tell me what are the alternatives for population control?

By the way I have never wasted a carp and don't plan on doing it, it's just not my thing but I understand the need for population control and I'm not going to chastise others that use carp for fertilizer to grow their gardens, throwing them in the trash or on the shoreline creates a big stinky mess and should never be done, also it's illegal to discard and not use as this has been discussed before.
    Last edited by seal; 09-10-2012 at 08:11 AM.

I've killed a couple hundred of them over the last summer's bowfishing. I have eaten many, but there is no way you could eat enough to reduce their numbers sufficiently. So a large portion end up as fertilizer, dog food, coyote bait, chum, etc. I do not stop when I have enough for dinner. I stop when I can't carry my bag anymore. Killing carp is not mean or wasteful. It's downright responsible. Remember, they do not belong here, and they do major damage to our lakes. I'd rather see them in the trash can than in a local lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    I've killed a couple hundred of them over the last summer's bowfishing. I have eaten many, but there is no way you could eat enough to reduce their numbers sufficiently. So a large portion end up as fertilizer, dog food, coyote bait, chum, etc. I do not stop when I have enough for dinner. I stop when I can't carry my bag anymore. Killing carp is not mean or wasteful. It's downright responsible. Remember, they do not belong here, and they do major damage to our lakes. I'd rather see them in the trash can than in a local lake.
    I wish Silverwood would allow bow hunting, I'd love to see you out there thinning the population out!

has anyone tried eating carp with the recipe as seen on "diners, drive ins, and dives" where they cut the fish, batter and fry?

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    has anyone tried eating carp with the recipe as seen on "diners, drive ins, and dives" where they cut the fish, batter and fry?
    You really need to cook the hell out of them to even remotely soften the bones. And there are bones EVERYWHERE! I usually cook the larger ones whole and skinned in the oven for a short time, then remove all the meat with a fork, leaving most of the skeleton intact. You will still have to pick some bones out though. I fillet the small ones. You really need to know their skeletal system to eat them with a minimal amount of oral puncture wounds, lol. Or else use a smoker/pressure cooker.

If you think that tossing a few carp in the trash will reduce their population, then you probably also think that not farting in public helps air pollution. It's not effective, and a waste of some nice game fish. By the way, I'm a total C&R fisherman, as is my adult son.

Quote Originally Posted by vortec_cruiser View Post
    If you think that tossing a few carp in the trash will reduce their population, then you probably also think that not farting in public helps air pollution. It's not effective, and a waste of some nice game fish. By the way, I'm a total C&R fisherman, as is my adult son.
    So your answer is let um take over? Don't know where you fish but some lakes the carp population is completely out of control and the individuals in charge of the fishery have decided they need to be thinned out to have a healthy lake.

Do you think there are no problems with carp populations in some of our lakes? Once again I ask if you do agree some lakes have a carp population problem and they are impacting the fishery how do you propose to control their population?

I don't mean to be a jerk about this but I really don't no where you guys are going with this, I know you appreciate the carp fishing but really there is a problem in quite a few lakes and they need to be controlled, at least in my opinion.

Not sure why you being a C&R fisherman has much to do with this discussion either.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast