Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So Cal Steelhead?

North-East L.A. / West San Gabriel Valley

Quote Originally Posted by andrew95 View Post
    Yep, one has even been caught in the LA River apparently.

Picture is from the article below.

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/04/01...-steelheading/
    Thats quite a photoshop there...

in the early 80's malibu creek would have tons of them, but because there was no internet no one really knew about it. I have seen some very large fish come out of there back then. it was legal back then.

Didn't we have a post on here a couple years back where some ding-dong up around Ventura caught one in a closed area of some river and posted a picture? Then, a few days later in the thread a warden posted a picture from the same exact spot (you could tell because all the tule reeds were the same in both pictures) saying he'd busted the poacher?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    Didn't we have a post on here a couple years back where some ding-dong up around Ventura caught one in a closed area of some river and posted a picture? Then, a few days later in the thread a warden posted a picture from the same exact spot (you could tell because all the tule reeds were the same in both pictures) saying he'd busted the poacher?
    now thats funny i dont care who you are. there's a difference between catching one on accident surf fishing and finding their reds and swinging a fly over them. they are barely hanging on as it is.

Default Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbytuba View Post
    i heard some rumors a few months ago that suggested that some of the creeks in socal have some residual runs of a few steelhead. im not trying to sound hopeful just curious if any one else has heard anything. i know that every once in a while people catch a 20 incher off our coasts, last one i heard of was off new port from the pier. if there are creeks north of LA that have year round flows to the ocean it's possible... just spit ballin here...
    Yes there are definitely steelhead in many different creeks in So.Cal. Obviously they have to have free running water from the creek to the ocean. Where there are dams many times steel head will stack at the bottom of the dam. Fishing in these areas are restricted. I have been targeting steelhead here for over 30 years. They are very cyclical and it is hard to predict a strong run. They also don't necessarily come back to their stream of origin and will use other streams that are in good shape. My largest is 22 " but I have seen fish to 28". There are not too many places left for these rare fish but they seem to have an ability to recuperate strong from the point of near decimation, so hopefully the few remaining habitats for them will be protected or rehabilitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    Yep. He was fishing in a closed area on the lower San Ynez. Got one hell of a fine.

Damn that article. I read the whole damn thing and was already planning on checking it out until i got to the end and read that telephone number....

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian323 View Post
    Thats quite a photoshop there...
    Some talent to be sure. I'd seen those pictures somewhere before... Pacific Coast Sportfishing maybe?... but didn't really make it until the guy in the drift boat casting into an inch of water. Fun stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Yep. He was fishing in a closed area on the lower San Ynez. Got one hell of a fine.

Good. Wild trout and steelhead is my C&R soap box. No good reason to kill them in any water within 200 miles of OC, few (but some really good) reasons (brookies) to do so elsewhere.

QUOTE=Marley;628029]Good. Wild trout and steelhead is my C&R soap box. No good reason to kill them in any water within 200 miles of OC, few (but some really good) reasons (brookies) to do so elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast