Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Cal Steelhead?

Default So Cal Steelhead?

i heard some rumors a few months ago that suggested that some of the creeks in socal have some residual runs of a few steelhead. im not trying to sound hopeful just curious if any one else has heard anything. i know that every once in a while people catch a 20 incher off our coasts, last one i heard of was off new port from the pier. if there are creeks north of LA that have year round flows to the ocean it's possible... just spit ballin here...

There are still very small #'s of Steelhead in So Cal...I believe the majority of them are up in Ventura & Santa Barbara area's though.

-b

There was a creek in Malibu and another one in So Orange County 20+ years ago that Steelheads werefound in. I don't know if that holds true today.

A lot of streams that connect directly to the ocean are closed to fishing all year, especially for trout and salmonids. Search the regs for "anadromous waters".

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    A lot of streams that connect directly to the ocean are closed to fishing all year, especially for trout and salmonids. Search the regs for "anadromous waters".
    oh yeah i figured that before i posted the question. i wasnt hoping to fish Malibu creek haha. i remember my gramps talking about pulling steelies out of local waters and all. kinda sad isnt it. do they protect them like salmon now?

Yes, there are steelhead in so cal. Mostly small, although really big ones are seen almost every year. Several creeks are "managed" to let them enter and spawn. Several years ago one very large wildfire burned into the back country watershed of a southern creek that held a population of steelhead. Subsequent heavy rains filled the creek with ash and mud, killing everything in it. It would make sense that adult fish, in the sea-run part of their lives at the time of the flood, have since returned to that area to spawn, but I haven't seen any reports of that happening.
    There are those who fish for them, and they aren't saying much.

Yep, one has even been caught in the LA River apparently.

Picture is from the article below.

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/04/01...-steelheading/

Quote Originally Posted by andrew95 View Post
    Yep, one has even been caught in the LA River apparently.

Picture is from the article below.

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/04/01...-steelheading/
    I guess u didn't notice that article was a past April Fools Article???

On a serious note, I did see two smaller Steelies swimming in an urban LA area which I thought was amazing.

-b

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Yes, there are steelhead in so cal. Mostly small, although really big ones are seen almost every year. Several creeks are "managed" to let them enter and spawn. Several years ago one very large wildfire burned into the back country watershed of a southern creek that held a population of steelhead. Subsequent heavy rains filled the creek with ash and mud, killing everything in it. It would make sense that adult fish, in the sea-run part of their lives at the time of the flood, have since returned to that area to spawn, but I haven't seen any reports of that happening.
    There are those who fish for them, and they aren't saying much.
    3 to 4 years ago Malibu creek had approx 3000 Steelheads, but they keep having die offs.

I use to hike that spot that Marley is talking about. I have seen some decent sized steel head for being where it is back there. A buddy of mine who showed me the spot for the first time use to hike a rod back there and do a little c and r on em. The last time I went up before the fire and mudslide, my buddy and I marked a spot where we found about 10 in a nice little hole. We figured we would take the fly rods up there but unfortunately we never got the chance. I have hiked it a few times since and have not seen any fish. Just holes that use to be 8-10 feet deep that are now 3 feet.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast