Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: need help with surf spinning rod

Default need help with surf spinning rod

I recently started fishing the surf targeting perch. I'm looking to buy a surf rod strictly for perch n beans. It seems like the norm for surf spinning is 8'6 or longer (salmon steelhead rods). I fish carolina rig 1/2 -3/4 ounce weight with 6 or sometimes 8lb flouro. From what i've read long rod helps keep the line over the waves. Can i get away with 7 1/2 footers. I prefer 1 piece rods. I have 2 rods in mind a St.Croix tidemaster TIS76LM and a Phenix recon PHX-S762L. I have a old symetre i wanna pair it up with. It has 2 spools. a 6lb mono and the other 10 lb braid. Any input is greatly appreciated. Should i go with longer salmon steelhead type of rods? Thanks in advance.

I use a 7 foot 2 inch shimano terez waxwing spinning rod for the surf and have had no problems. You cannot find a thinner blank on the market for the strength of the rod. It can easily pull in huge shovel nose guitar fish, sharks and halibut but has the sensitivity required to feel even the smallest of nibbles. The guides along with 15 pound power pro allow me to cast any carolina set up a mile. I was thinking salmon rods and even looked at and used the phenix that you mentioned but it pales in comparison. It is the lightest rod for that class that i have used.

check out the new line of Phenix trifecta salmon/steelhead rods... has been getting great reviews...

Hey Russ, post up a pic of that 31" Halibut...
    See ya at HG4 bro!

skunked4life,

I'll definitely check out the terez spinning rods. Thanks!

dkinla,

Didn't know Phenix came out with new rods. Thanks for the heads up. I've been out of the loop. I love my Phenix rods. Phenix is all i use for inshore/offshore fishing. Great rods for sure. Now i have 3 models to check out TRX-S804-1, PHX-S762L, MX-S78M... cool

Wingnut,

Here u go bro... see u at HG4!!!

No problem. Seriously, I don't know why no one on these boards seem to be using the terez series rods, but I tell you that they are amazing. I may be wrong here, but I have not seen any other rod that is as light and thin as these rods for the range of line weight they can handle.

I have two terez spinning rods,and love it. I used Terez TZS72M for yellow tail & tuna,and Terez Waxwing TZSW72M for surf.
    The Terez rod is amazing. It so light and sensitive.

Russ88,
    Sweet beast of a Hali, congrats!

NG

Quote Originally Posted by katchaser View Post
    I have two terez spinning rods,and love it. I used Terez TZS72M for yellow tail & tuna,and Terez Waxwing TZSW72M for surf.
    The Terez rod is amazing. It so light and sensitive.
    Right? Its not too short, not too long, one piece, light and strong as hell! What are you pairing the two rods with though? I am curious as to what size reel works best. I am currently using a 2500 reel.