Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: be safe out there guys.

Default be safe out there guys.

check this out. dust storm came ripping through the lake today. i just put the boat on the trailer when it happened. be careful out there guys and WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET! you're more important than what others think of you! i ended upgrading my previous life jacket to a mustang in hopes i'd get better at wearing em. a lot of money spent, but whatever. if i can afford a new reel and new tackle. why cant i afford a key thing keeping me alive.

came up pretty fast and im sure made it a ***** to get back to the ramp.

hope everyone made it back safe. i saw a couple rental boats out on the water and a good customer of mine. hopefully they tucked away in a cove!

if this gets moved, i hold no grudges. ive been asked in private my opinions on phoenix boats, what i look for in a ride and safety stuff. i hope i can touch on some things that i look for. i know there are a lot of new boat buyers out there or guys that already have boats. im simply just gonna lay my opinions out there for you regarding boats as i recently have had my eyes opened to boating safety. i guess this is as good a post to talk about it as any so here goes i i always feel weird about talking about boats and stuff as i dont want people thinking the things i say are just because i have an affiliation with a specific manufacturer. for the record, i fish an 18.5' tracker. i've been in aluminum boats all my life. never been fortunate to own a glass boat. in time i will, but at the moment i'm still running aluminum. needless to say i'm always studying up on all the latest and the greatest in the boat world. im always picking out my "perfect ride" so to speak that way when i finally get the cash, i'm walking in and driving out same day with my battleship. of course it doesnt work that way, but you get the idea.

just to lay my experience out. im 27 and have been in a bass boat since i was in diapers. my dad let me run solo runs when i was VERY young using trolling motor power only. needless to say growing up in this sport, i've been fortunate to spend time in just about every mainstream bass boat out there. i've driven triton, champion, nitro, ranger, skeeter, stratos, tracker etc. etc. each have their specific purpose and each have their highs and lows. some have excessive storage, and some dont have enough. some take on water unnecessarily and some are the driest boat you've ever been in. im not gonna get into it as its always a mess trying to explain. being that i'm driving a boat that is in charge of my life for the day, safety, handling and fish ability are paramount to me. i want to feel like i'm in control of the boat i'm driving. i dont want to feel that my boat is driving me. i want a boat that bites into waves as opposed to a boat that takes a beating. when i'm running across the lake and get into some nastiness out of nowhere i want to drive a boat that is responsive enough to correct on a dime so i dont take a pounding or potentially hurt myself. when i do get to the spot and lets say i'm fishing in white cap conditions, i dont want a boat that rocks and rolls to the point where i'm losing balance that may cause me to fall in. i want a boat that bites into the wind and stays put while i'm fishing. i hate unnecessary use of a trolling motor. i want to focus on my fishing without having to get mad that im losing trolling motor power.

here goes, without bias although i guarantee some will think so, ive spent a good amount of time in a phoenix the last couple months and finally feel qualified to offer my opinion. i refused to talk prior as i had no water time. coming from a guy who is open minded and has driven a lot, ive never driven a boat that was as much as the total package as the pheonix. its handling is insane, tackle storage is nuts and the deck is spaced perfectly so i can have a huge front deck to throw big baits on long rods, yeah im a deck hog, and my backseater has enough room where he can mind his own business on the back deck haha there's a lot more that i can say about these boats than the little i did. but i dont want to really smother you or come off like im trying to sell you a boat. im not a boat salesman. wouldnt know where to begin. i do not work for the boat shop or own a pheonix bass boat (yet) you reading that dan or megan. hint hint. hahaha. if you want more of my opinion on these boats, i'll be more than happy to explain in detail in private.

for safety, handling and fishability, hands down im really digging these boats. like i said before, EVERY boat has a specific purpose and all boats are great. when you spend the money on a boat that's high dollar, you're gonna get a great machine in ANY manufacturer. dont let anybody tell you otherwise. in my personal opinion i feel a phoenix gives you the most features for your money at the quality you should expect to get.

i welcome criticism good or bad from any individual. im interested in reading your views.
    Last edited by Matt_Magnone; 08-30-2012 at 09:30 PM.

cool video.. some crazy weather out there this year...

It's a Hemet Haboob!

Matt you did not have BassCat on your list and if you would like some seat time and fishing time in one let me know. Ya might just change your mind I know I did.

i actually fished and ran around in my friends sabre. the boat fished well and definitely handled great. i may have to take you up on that. thank you.

Matt the Sabre is a great boat. I have a Pantera Classic and while it is 19'1" it fishes like a 20 footer. Lots of room up front and lots of storage. Largest live well in it's class, rocketship fast (75+mph), handles great and is dry in rough water. All fiberglass construction with a lifetime warrenty and the customer service is world class, 5 time JD Powers award winner. Family owned company for 40 years. Let me know about a date and we are good to go.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled17.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	37065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled8.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	37066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled14.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	37067

Nice ride Devoreflyer!

riverside_angler thanks. After many, many DVL rentals it was a nice upgrade. Bought it at a bank repo auction in Reno, Nevada in April. Lot of bank repo boats, RV's and off road toys on the market today with the poor economy and people hurting. If you are patient and have the cash there are a lot of bargains out there to be snapped up.