Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: fluorocarbon line???

Default fluorocarbon line???

I am currently fishing braid main line to mono leaders and I am thinking about changing my leaders to fluoro. Currently my leaders range from 6#-12# izorline xxx for targeting sandies, spotties, hali's and so on. My fishing is done from a tube and lately I have been fishing next to more and more structure which frays the shiznit out of my mono leaders. I have heard that fluoro is more resistant to fraying when compared to mono or even straight braid.

My questions is which fluoro do you guys recommend and is it that much better than mono? Or am I better off just sticking with xxx izorline?

BTW, I have never had any problems with the line I am currently using.

Seaguar invisx is what I use, tie a uni to uni knot and hold on! You will notice how much more often you will get bit, especially in tough conditions. Also, fluorocarbon has a thinner diameter than mono, so you can fish heavier line and have more control over fish especially in heavy cover. I use about an 8 foot leader and retie when there is less than 5 ft left. I fish primarily 10 to 17 lb test depending on the conditions. If price is an issue, try P-line floroclear, it's $10 instead of $30.

In my opinion seaguar is the best-it's thin,strong and has nice knot strength.What i would do is make a 3ft leader--if the fish can't see the line at the hook your good.Invisx is a great line but if you are around rocks and snags i would go blue lable it's a little thicker so it will stand-up better,but if they are going crazy and eating everything save a couple bucks and go mono---good luck

So blue label is the best around structure? That's my main concern since I'm fishing in murky water, clarity of the line is not important to me. I'm dealing with mussel covered pilings, rocks, and kelp...

Quote Originally Posted by .:LOLLY:. View Post
    So blue label is the best around structure? That's my main concern since I'm fishing in murky water, clarity of the line is not important to me. I'm dealing with mussel covered pilings, rocks, and kelp...
    I fish tournaments with 35-50lb braid with 12-30lb floro leaders. I prefer PowerPro braid and PLine floro.
    For spotties I even will do straight 8lb floro if I need to flip light baits on the docks or mono on a spinning gear to skip them under stuff.
    You could fish straight braid because of clarity, but its almost more frail going against things like muscles and rocks than mono.
    When fishing kelp, like KELP KELP in deeper water, straight braid is fine or with a super small leader (8 in) if you are wary of line shy fish.
    If you make a longer leader and you get wrapped in the kelp, you could loose your leader since that won't rip the kelp itself.
    For me I only fish mono for my freshwater top water stuff or my big jig stick. Floro is my go to across the board.