Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake skinner

Default Lake skinner

Ok I fish this lake year round like for the last 6,years and it's always been good to me , but over the last month I have been skunked every single time I go out. My friend tells me that's because it's fished out but another friend says that's impossible because the striper come through from the aqueduct . But I must add I have not seen any smaller strippers which leads me to believe that this may be true because I heard they can't breed in the lake being there's no fresh water comming in and salt water going out . So do you guys agree it's fished out ?
    Last edited by Askwhy; 08-21-2012 at 10:02 PM.

If you are talking about stripers then NO. A week ago I was in the middle of a rather big boil. Do you think that pod of 50+ fish were the only ones in the lake? Nah! The lake is actually pretty healthy. Lots of shad and fry around. Lots of bluegill. Mr. stripey is hiding out at the dam past the bouys where we can't get to him. Another month or so will see him back hunting the forage.

I couldn't agree more with P.A.W. Skinner is always good for a striper or two first thing in the morning and the bass fishing is normally good until it gets too hot to fish.
    I've always wondered why they don't open up the dam area for fishing. They could rope off the end where the outlet is and give us a shot at the rest of it.

Fished out? Yea probably cause we all know that stripers don't spawn in lakes......

As for the boils yes I did see a boil or two but as for the massive amounts that used to be in that lake I say done , as for the smaller stripers that come through the waterway and grows to the size we were previously catching those are not there . my guess is there will be a few fisherman who target strippers get a limit or two down the road but I still say that the days of limiting out on striper at skinner are behind us . Just my opnion. As for the bluegills there are so many of those as my fish finder goes crazy each and every time, and I'm sure those fishing for catfish will still be rewarded with some quality fish good luck and tight lines.

I doubt it maybe a down year but they will rebound, striper populations like all other fish populations go thru peak and down periods. Stripers are well established at Skinner and have been for years that tells me that they will be back if in fact this truly is a down year.

Let's just hope this is a down year. There's always diamond valley lol

Or Silverwood lake but I'd go to DVL there are no stripers at Silverwood.

Ok, so I wouldn't be talking out of my arse I went back and looked at my reports from a year ago. Mid to late August was pretty much identical to now. By mid September the bite was picking up quick and in October I was getting limits in just a few hours. I think Skinner is not fished out, just in the usual pattern for this time of year.

As far as spawning goes, back in July I was still cleaning fish full of eggs and some spilling spoodge. They might not have been spawning, but they were sure partying!!
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 08-22-2012 at 05:22 PM.

P.A.W. thanks for going back and looking at last years report that is incourageing as I can't wait to see if that holds true in September .