Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jenks Lake Alligator?!?

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHuck View Post
    I heard it was a small Caiman from a few people who saw it on the far end in the tules.

Craig when you are up there, are th camp hosts still kicking everyone out an hour earlier then when the lake actually closes? It's supposed to be closing at dusk.
    The last two trips (last Thursday and I don't recall what day the week before) there have been thunderstorms and rain that have cleared most people off the lake in the early afternoon. I waited out the storms in my car, and stayed until 5:30 or 6:00 PM each time. They weren't kicking anyone off the lake as of when I left, but there were only two or three cars in the parking lot.

That sign rocks!!!! Craig - pic would rock if you see it or if the hosts have one. If it's a joke, that would be hillarious too - I've only met one of the hosts and while he seemed like a nice guy, we only chatted for a bit and I couldn't tell whether he's a jokester!

As far as the alligator goes-I wonder why there are no pictures? Because there isn't one. The rumor says some fishermen started the gator story in an attempt to keep the annoying kids off the lake (canoes, swimming, etc). Because if there was a gator in the lake the group camps wouldn't let the kids in it for liability reasons...so no kids in the water. Don't know if that's true, but it makes sense. With all the activity there, and the abundance of smart phones, surely someone would have snapped a picture by now. Also, you don't see any DFG personnel there regarding the gator. Surely they'd have some interest if it was there.
    Also, regarding the "kicking people out at sunset" deal- the lake is not closed at sunset. The parking lot is. These are state waters, located within public land. The concessionaire does not own the lake. They manage it for the Forest Service. Fishing at night is legal (except Mono Co.). Same thing with the "winter closure". It is not closed, although San Bernardino County prohibits going onto lake ice. So...you can park outside and walk in to fish "after hours" or in winter. They just don't want you to know that. This has been confirmed by the USFS and DFG.

I think RTG's right on target with all that info. I doubt there's an alligator, but it would be cool! I'd make up a story to make my float tubing there more spacious. I also understand same re: "closing". The parking lot closes, but not the lake.

Cheers,

Eric

Don't know about Jenks but Irvine Lake had a gator some years back, it's completely believable that someone had a pet that got too big and dumped it at the lake. Dumb and sad thing to to if it was done because there is no way it would survive the winter. If it was dumped there's a chance it has already been picked off by wildlife in the area also.

A 2 foot alligator is not going to be biting off the appendages of swimming children, ok maybe a little toe or 2.

I agree with seal that it was probably someone's pet. There are a lot of people who use that lake, including boy/girl scout troops, various camps, and other groups who have access to the canoes. A lot of the people I talk to who are fishing are there with kids and have very little tackle/experience so I'd say most people at the lake don't use this board. It's quite possible some of these people have pictures. If someone started an alligator rumor to keep people away from the lake it didn't work, because I see as many people fishing/wading/swimming/canoeing/rafting/float tubing as I do every year.

I've heard another theory. Supposedly someone from Scotland bought the closed store at Angelus Oaks, and this is the first step in their plan to increase tourism at the lake (and their store). The next step will be to change the name of the lake from "Jenks Lake" to "Jenks Loch" or "Loch Jenks", then all you have to do is start calling the alligator (or caiman) the "Loch Jenks Monster" or "Jenksie" for short and you have a lot more tourists going to your store.

If I get a couple of errands done early enough, I'll be heading up to the lake tomorrow late morning. Will take my camera, and promise to post any pictures I take of caimans, alligators, bigfoot, space aliens, ...

somthing we might be over looking. i know there is no chance a large reptile can survive the winter. but this supposed gator caiman crock could actually be a monitor lizard. i had a friend who owned one, and he contemplated letting it go when it got to 4 feet long and aggressive. theyre cheaper to own and apparently some pet stores actually sell them in California. theyve been found in this state before and it's the same thing with boa constrictors in Florida, some pet gets let loose because they get to big. also, i have seen one at the salton sea chillin by a canal. it wasn't one of those native alligator lizards it was a monitor for sure ive seen my fair share of animal planet haha. some dumb kid could have seen one and thought "big water reptile, only thing that comes to mind is an alligator!". remember there's no crocodile hunter on tv anymore to tell us the difference... i bet its a monitor lizard.

Chernobyl? Fukushima? SAN ONOFRE???

I bet it's an atomic water dog.

You all are kidding, right? You truly are afraid of getting bit by an Alligator while float tubing at Jenks Lake? Try to imagine how an Alligator would survive water temps in the thirties and ice covering the surface in the winter. Don't think they do well in those conditions.

Ecoli...you bet. The fecal coliform counts in places like the San Gabriel River and deep creek in the summer time rival that of Avalon harbor or Baby Beach in Dana point. Off the charts.

@marley - Maybe we can get George Clinton and Parlaimant Funkadelyc to hold a benefit concert to save the atomic water dog @ Jenks Lake!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast