Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jenks Lake Alligator?!?

Default Jenks Lake Alligator?!?

Heard there was an alligator in Jenks lake? Not sure how big or how in the world it got there, but since I float tube the place frequently it made me wonder... Is the thing still in there or have they removed it? Basically, I don't wanna get my feet nipped. Thanks, I'd appreciate all the info I can get on this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmarko View Post
    Heard there was an alligator in Jenks lake? Not sure how big or how in the world it got there, but since I float tube the place frequently it made me wonder... Is the thing still in there or have they removed it? Basically, I don't wanna get my feet nipped. Thanks, I'd appreciate all the info I can get on this.
    I dunno, but I heard it wasn't an alligator at all, but a 21' crocodile and had already taken down two float tubers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I dunno, but I heard it wasn't an alligator at all, but a 21' crocodile and had already taken down two float tubers.
    Well, I can't actually back that up. Maybe there isn't an alligator in there at all or even a crocodile.

I think both Fihing Queen and I posted about the alligator two or three weeks ago. I fished up there last week, and according to the camp host the alligator hasn't been seen in a while. There were a couple of guys float tubing last week, but everyone cleared off the lake when the thunderstorms started. According to the news someone was struck by lightning up there last Sunday. The article didn't say how bad they were hurt

Oh man, that's too bad that somebody got struck by lightning. Hope they're alright.

Yeah, I was float tubing probably there about a month ago. I heard some girls in a canoe scream something about an alligator and I thought it was a joke. I told a friend later and we had a good laugh about that because it sounded so unbelievable. But more recently, another friend asked me if I saw the warning sign about the alligator and I didn't know what the heck he was talking about.

Well, it would be nice to know that it has been removed. I love tubing there. Does anybody know a number that can be called?

Quote Originally Posted by jpmarko View Post
    Oh man, that's too bad that somebody got struck by lightning. Hope they're alright.

Yeah, I was float tubing probably there about a month ago. I heard some girls in a canoe scream something about an alligator and I thought it was a joke. I told a friend later and we had a good laugh about that because it sounded so unbelievable. But more recently, another friend asked me if I saw the warning sign about the alligator and I didn't know what the heck he was talking about.

Well, it would be nice to know that it has been removed. I love tubing there. Does anybody know a number that can be called?
    Even if there is one, I really don't think it poses any danger.

The water quality, however, may be a different story. Asian Guy had a story to tell, at least on another fishing board, about ecoli and other bacteria in the lake that could make you sick just from extended exposure to the water like you might get from tubing without waders. Maybe he's around and can comment?
    Last edited by Cartman; 08-19-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Addition

Yep - Jenks is a festering mud-hole of botulism, ecoli and virulant eagle feces - swarming with 30' alligators and vicious, man-eating piranhas. I think there's also a toxic nuclear cloud that's settled there with combined waste from Fukushima and Chernobyl. Don't go anywhere near that lake - especially as Fall approaches and the trout become active and the scenery gets even better.

Some of us will do anything to protect a favorite location!

However, if anyone does have actual evidence - real, investigated news story, etc. - instead of anectdotes - please feel free to post. IF there were aligators I'd have a hard time believing they'd be anything more than large lizards - too cold, too small. The only crocs are probably at the bottom of the lake from some float tubing hippie gardener who forgot to take off his bizarre plastic shoes.

Cheers,

Eric

Don't know anything about bad water quality at the lake, but I do know there are 3 signs at different locations around the lake warning about the alligator (that's one alligator). The first is to the left of the little box that holds the payment envelopes when you first drive in; the second is on the bulletin board by the "vault" where you deposit your $5 and envelope (at the start of the paved trail down to the lake); the third is on the bulletin board to the right of the wooden steps that go from the parking lot to the lake.

I fish the lake once a week this time of year, and have asked both the camp hosts (Paul and Raymond) about the alligator signs and they say an alligator approx 2 feet long was sighted earlier this year. It hasn't been seen lately. If it's a joke they are in on it, because the signs have been up for at least a month.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jenks lake sign.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	36916

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    Don't know anything about bad water quality at the lake, but I do know there are 3 signs at different locations around the lake warning about the alligator (that's one alligator). The first is to the left of the little box that holds the payment envelopes when you first drive in; the second is on the bulletin board by the "vault" where you deposit your $5 and envelope (at the start of the paved trail down to the lake); the third is on the bulletin board to the right of the wooden steps that go from the parking lot to the lake.

I fish the lake once a week this time of year, and have asked both the camp hosts (Paul and Raymond) about the alligator signs and they say an alligator approx 2 feet long was sighted earlier this year. It hasn't been seen lately. If it's a joke they are in on it, because the signs have been up for at least a month.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jenks lake sign.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	36916

I heard it was a small Caiman from a few people who saw it on the far end in the tules.

Craig when you are up there, are th camp hosts still kicking everyone out an hour earlier then when the lake actually closes? It's supposed to be closing at dusk.

I saw a warning sign also when I was there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast