Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legg Lake is Full of Suprises

Nice catch at legg,ive heard about the tilapia there and seen a couple but were smaller like palm sized.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinflies View Post
    Cool find. i've only heard about tilapia being in legg.

I have seen one at the pit. That sucker was huge.
    By "the pit" do you mean Peck Road Park? I have not been successful with panfish at that lake at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnfun View Post
    I was tenkara fishing at Pudd with Chuck (VIVID_FLY) when you and your wife floated by. Chuck was talking with you about your wax worm farm and you noted how you much preferred fishing with your maggots. Then, I saw you posted to give your wax worm farm away. So, adding 2 + 2 together, I got 5?
    Oh yeah. Very nice to meet you. Any friend of Chuck is a friend of mine. Yeah, I was surprised at how those wax worms took off and just kept on keeping on. Finally found them a home. Glad to be rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfishing24/7 View Post
    Nice catch at legg,ive heard about the tilapia there and seen a couple but were smaller like palm sized.
    If I'd had a couple more I might have had some mojarra frita, huh? From what I have seen they can be a dangerously invasive species. I was at Balboa lake once trying my hand at asian long pole carp fishing, and the tilapia were a complete pain in the you know what. I couldn't keep them off the hook. They were pouring over the sides of the bank. It was not a pretty sight.

Nice tilapia you got right there jon, wtg!

Cool looking fish. Congrats

Default Not sure if Cartman is still on this site

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Legg is closer to home, and with my Pudd parking pass expired, I have been there three times lately. I have a secret-not-so-secret shady spot under a huge sycamore where I can enjoy what cool breezes there are in this weather and take my chances. Caught nothing on the rod and reel tough I've tried maggots, corn, and tortillas where I know there are carp because I have seen them jumping. But I caught a catfish on my 10' pole and ultra-light gear, which I already reported. Anyway, Thursday, around 7:00 pm, I took in the two rods with corn and decided to give the pole a few tries before going home. Tossed it in about 10 feet from the bank with about a size 10 or so hook and a few maggots, and right away I had something on, and it wasn't one of those shrimpy little bluegills. Nice fight, but strange colors. Not a catfish, but not the right color for a carp or even a koi either. Hmmmm. Kept it going a while. Fishing with a pole and four pound line, and no drag, I tend to be a little cautious so I let the fish fight the pole a while til it was pretty tired before I worked it into shore. No net and barbless hooks, so I had to be careful. Lo and behold, a pink carp. No kidding, it was pink. It only weighed a few pounds I'm sure, but it was definitely pink with yellow eyes.
    It's a lot of fun catching fish on a pole.

One down side of Legg, and I guess all the lakes around here, though, is that they are swarming with turtles. I caught one Thursday, and Friday a young Vietnamese guy told me he had caught six the day before. You know they're taking your bait when you see your float walking away and slowly sinking below the surface. Grrrrrrrrr. Always the red-ear sliders, former pets dropped off for all of us to enjoy, I guess.

Here is the picture I took. It was late, and the color doesn't show very well, but it was definitely pink.

Attachment 36867
    July 20, 2015, I was there in the middle lake today and there they were; right where my bro-in-law said they were. Red Tilapia and Brown ones. I usually fish the south lake and there is one in there that is at least 5 lbs. I think he is a loner in that lake, but the middle lake is teaming with them. You can mistake them for Koi, but they are tilapia. They must be spawning because they are moving around fast. They don't seem interested in my bait. Oh they are at the rock pier. I suppose if you are going to read this and keep them, you might want to go by the saying, "Use what you can keep and keep what you can use".

Wonder what happened to Cartman I fished with the old boy at the pudd a few times. Shot him a PM but no reply. And where is the Fishing Queen. And Mike and Chuck the old pudd people.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Wonder what happened to Cartman I fished with the old boy at the pudd a few times. Shot him a PM but no reply. And where is the Fishing Queen. And Mike and Chuck the old pudd people.
    Nice to hear some of those names I haven't heard in awhile,I miss the
    Puddle!

Cya Tuna Vic

I wonder if that's an albino T-lop, cuz it sure looks like it.

Balboa has a good population of T-lops as well. I think CityDad guides sports on that piece of stretch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast