Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legg Lake is Full of Suprises

Default Legg Lake is Full of Suprises

Legg is closer to home, and with my Pudd parking pass expired, I have been there three times lately. I have a secret-not-so-secret shady spot under a huge sycamore where I can enjoy what cool breezes there are in this weather and take my chances. Caught nothing on the rod and reel tough I've tried maggots, corn, and tortillas where I know there are carp because I have seen them jumping. But I caught a catfish on my 10' pole and ultra-light gear, which I already reported. Anyway, Thursday, around 7:00 pm, I took in the two rods with corn and decided to give the pole a few tries before going home. Tossed it in about 10 feet from the bank with about a size 10 or so hook and a few maggots, and right away I had something on, and it wasn't one of those shrimpy little bluegills. Nice fight, but strange colors. Not a catfish, but not the right color for a carp or even a koi either. Hmmmm. Kept it going a while. Fishing with a pole and four pound line, and no drag, I tend to be a little cautious so I let the fish fight the pole a while til it was pretty tired before I worked it into shore. No net and barbless hooks, so I had to be careful. Lo and behold, a pink carp. No kidding, it was pink. It only weighed a few pounds I'm sure, but it was definitely pink with yellow eyes.
    It's a lot of fun catching fish on a pole.

One down side of Legg, and I guess all the lakes around here, though, is that they are swarming with turtles. I caught one Thursday, and Friday a young Vietnamese guy told me he had caught six the day before. You know they're taking your bait when you see your float walking away and slowly sinking below the surface. Grrrrrrrrr. Always the red-ear sliders, former pets dropped off for all of us to enjoy, I guess.

Here is the picture I took. It was late, and the color doesn't show very well, but it was definitely pink.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03987.jpg 
Views:	1466 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	36867

I'm no expert, but I believe that is a tilapia. What do I base my opinion on? I saw a tankful of them swimming in the local Chinese supermarket. They have the usual black variety and the reddish/white variety. Looks like someone is planting the tilapia for future catching and the home steamer. Corrections welcomed if I'm wrong.

that's a tilipia bro.....when you can find them they are pretty nice size

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnfun View Post
    I'm no expert, but I believe that is a tilapia. What do I base my opinion on? I saw a tankful of them swimming in the local Chinese supermarket. They have the usual black variety and the reddish/white variety. Looks like someone is planting the tilapia for future catching and the home steamer. Corrections welcomed if I'm wrong.
    Yeah, Fishnfun and Danny300, I thought it might be a tilapia, too. I just had never caught a tilapia like that before, and I had carp on the mind at the time. Yeah, a pink...well, I guess it could be a white one with pink trim...tilapia. Thanks for the correction. Yeah, it's not shaped like a carp. Definitely looks like the shape of a tilapia, but the color is definitely off. OK, then, should be look for Legg to turn into another Balboa and be over run with tilapia. I sure hope not.

Cool find. i've only heard about tilapia being in legg.

I have seen one at the pit. That sucker was huge.

You must have had great fun to catch that fish on a (Tenkara) pole, a good fight brings excitement and pleasure. I also agree with the two gentlemen on the fish that you caught being a tilapia. But I never saw a pink colored tilapia before, I think it's pretty.
    Last edited by The Fishing Queen; 08-18-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Cartman,

I think I saw you one time at Pudd. You were in your inflatable kayak with your human rowing motor (wife). Do they allow your kayak in Legg?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fishing Queen View Post
    You must have had great fun to catch that fish on a (Tenkara) pole, a good fight brings excitement and pleasure. I also agree with the two gentlemen on the fish that you caught being a tilapia. But I never saw a pink colored tilapia before, I think it's pretty.
    Yeah, it's a tilapia fersure, and yes, I love catching fish on a pole. I tried putting out my long Korean pole, but after all the work setting it up I got it stuck in a tree. I got so disgusted I just collapsed it, put it back in its bag, and got out my 10' pole. I have some floats that are so tiny they only need one size 6 micro-shot (I think only fly-fishers will know what I'm talking about) to set it. Everything ultra-ultra light. Great for catching gills because you can see even the slightest nibble. Best $6.86 I ever spent buying the pole at Walmart. But now I have to get that long pole back in action which means balancing one of those impossible long floats. Totally worth the trouble if it wasn't for the troublesome little gills and redear.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnfun View Post
    Cartman,

I think I saw you one time at Pudd. You were in your inflatable kayak with your human rowing motor (wife). Do they allow your kayak in Legg?
    That's my wife's inflatable kayak, and she likes being my human rowing motor. At least she says she does. Nope, no boats at Legg except the ones they rent, and I never see anybody renting those. And what makes you think that was me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    And what makes you think that was me anyway.
    I was tenkara fishing at Pudd with Chuck (VIVID_FLY) when you and your wife floated by. Chuck was talking with you about your wax worm farm and you noted how you much preferred fishing with your maggots. Then, I saw you posted to give your wax worm farm away. So, adding 2 + 2 together, I got 5?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast