Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Night fishing Newport Bay in a Float Tube

Default tubin at night

Make sure you have glow sticks, and never go out alone at night. A head light is a must!

I also carry a whistle to warn the boaters that may be near and not see you. :wink:

When we Tube NPH or anywhere at night, we wear our head lamps and some attach glow sticks to back and front of head band or Tube for added visibility..

I normally only turn on the headlamp when there is a boat in the area, or I need to see something.. Otherwise it is off.....

I/we have never had any problems.. But I also get the heck away from any moving boats, I always assume they are drunk and or not looking for small objects like me..... :roll:

Better safe then sorry..... :thumb:

Great advice Nessie!!!!! The head lamp I use has three diffrent settings.....I use the normal white light when I need to be seen by a boat otherwise I use the red led light or the blue led light while I fish. The led light is nice because it does not blind the other guys I fish with when I am talking to them....looking in their direction!!!!

sonarbp

I'd be down for an FNN assault on the bay. That was good advice Bruce and Frank.....Thanks.
    I have the best thing for the MALE SEALIONS........&# 46;A small airhorn attached to my tube with velcro and I think I'm also going to get some pepper spray and attach it on the other side the same way.Maybe I'll just make a double holster for both of them. After that incident the Paintnfish and Lokey had with the DOG on the water it really makes you think. After all....when on the water......humans are out of their element and just Visitors.....LOL

IT'S THEIR WORLD :twisted:

As far as the Harbor is concerned....I've only tubed it once. What kinda blew my mind was that we launched from Balboa Island. The high tide was comming in big time which made it easy to get to a good spot. Then slack tide was an easy kick also. We made a mistake and kicked out towards the harbor inlet on the slack tide and then we started to get tired after about 6 hours. When it was time to kick back to our launch spot the tide was going OUT. Man....that was a ***** of a kick and I've got hotspots!
    If and When I get back out to the harbor I'm going to pay very close attention to the tides and my position compared to my launch/pullout spot that's for sure :shock:

Hey bones,

I have been tubin Newport quite alot the past few months...but before I go I always plan my trips according to the tide charts!!! Makes the trips alot more productive and less work. I plan my trips to ride the incomming tide back into the bay and then you MUST pay real close attention to the time!!!! When the tide hits it high point I start my way back to catch the outgoing tide. If you plan it right you can have a great trip lasting about 5 to 6 hours!!! plus you are on the water durring the best fishing time!!!

Let me know when you want to get out and we can plan a trip!

sonarbp

Quote Originally Posted by sonarbp
    Hey bones,

I have been tubin Newport quite alot the past few months...but before I go I always plan my trips according to the tide charts!!! Makes the trips alot more productive and less work. I plan my trips to ride the incomming tide back into the bay and then you MUST pay real close attention to the time!!!! When the tide hits it high point I start my way back to catch the outgoing tide. If you plan it right you can have a great trip lasting about 5 to 6 hours!!! plus you are on the water durring the best fishing time!!!

Let me know when you want to get out and we can plan a trip!

sonarbp
    Thanks for the tip sonarbp!
    I just got back into SW two years ago after a two decade layoff!
    I usually go fishing when my crazy life trying to raise three kids allows me to get out. Unfortunately....Half of the time my opportunity doesn't line up with the best of tide times though. I'll tell you one thing.....A little planning like you said would make for a very enjoyable tubing experience rather that a marathon trying to get back to your launch spot!
    It is mind blowing how fast the tides move sometimes. When fishing from a jetty or the surf a person doesn't feel the effects very much but when you are in a harbor or even worse....fishing an inlet to a harbor it's incrediable how the water moves. It's like trying to stay stable in a river current on a tube.Definately...Planning your launch and pullout along with the tides has got to be the key.
    I want to try to do it again and a FNN get together would be even better.
    I nominate you to set it up..... :thumb:
    Let's get er Done!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123