Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for the ONE - S.W.A.T. Mission Accomplished?

Default Quest for the ONE - S.W.A.T. Mission Accomplished? BONUS PICTS/REPORT added

So, back in May, I was set out on a mission to solidify a membership to S.W.A.T. Having success over the past few months, I felt somewhat (over)confident that I could get it done in a fair amount of time. The biggest problem, I felt, was going to be finding the time to get a line wet. With summer coming up, my work load was expected to increase and put a halt to the amount of sessions I had been putting in earlier in the year. Fortunately, work never got overbearing and I had my weekends to try to “get ‘er done”.

I work in graphics and deal with photoshop files from 5gigs on up to 30gigs. This gives me a lot of time, while files process or save, to browse the net. So, what do I do...go back and read every post in the Surf section of FNN...at least the ones that had a fair amount of replies and dealt with the surf (rather than harbors and bays). This fueled my visions and fantasies of catching that glory fish...the ‘‘barn door” flattie or toad WSB. I also got to read how guys had completed there missions in “grand” fashion...SP Dan with the glory striper, Mr. Dunev with a beast of a WSB, Ramiro not only winning HG2 but doing it with his induction fish, or even the epic saga of Pontoon’s long journey to success. I even got to witness first hand, earlier this year, Nipple Twister’s seven month struggle culminated with a capture of a coveted monster legal WSB. The stories of other successes got me all worked up...Murrieta Angler putting the wood to the ghosts all of last year, Bones and his multi-WSB weekend as well as his 41” mammoth flattie earlier this year, and, of course, all of Wingnut’s 50 million PB’s and new species since he started hitting the sand. Needless to say, the adrenaline was pumping and the trigger finger was itchin’.

BSP landed a striper last year which lead me to where I ended my quest today (or yesterday, I should say)...although not in such grand fashion.

I’ve pretty much posted my past trips, at least the ones worth talking about through June and early July, and I had some great trips...hell, getting out of the house already makes it great. So, this starts in late July. I’ve been requesting ‘hallpasses’ from ‘the boss’ to go out on Sunday mornings with the stipulation that I return in time to take my son to swim lessons at 10:30. Getting out and on the sand in the dark was a must to make the most of few hours I’d been given. Here’s the log of what’s been going on...

July 22 - Hit a local beach with primo conditions. The beach I chose had been a salad bar for the previous month or more, but the previous week had brought the promise of clearer waters. That previous week brought a flatfish-of-the-wrong-kind bonanza. SNGF were littering the area and a couple of times had me thinking I had hit gold only to see that tail fly up in the white water to rain on my parade. At least there was life there and I figured to give it another go. When I arrived, I could see birds diving and thought it might be “the day”. What it turned into was a thornback extravaganza. I ended up with four (sorry no picts, too busy hunting for the “right-kind”), but I musta stepped on about 15 of those damned things. Good thing I wore the waders that day even though it wasn’t that cold. I look back now and realize that it was an “LC” new species for me. I’ve been fishing the surf for over 40 years, but only started flinging the LC and truly started targeting flatties at the end of at the turn of this year. So, I consider any LC caught fish a new species of sorts. Not a glorious outing that day, but at least I got something to wipe the stripe...even if I’ve had kelp that fought more than those things did.

July 29 - I decide to revisit the area that I had caught my first “LC” WSBs and that Jinbow had beached a behemoth calico. I get there at dark as intended and see that the conditions were right. Low surf, good tide, lots of small baitfish...just like last time. I worked the beach for a couple of hours for NOTHING. Finally I get close to the area that Jinbow scored and get locked into a good fish. It’s not taking line but feels like a decent fish. After a quick battle, dodging all the structure littering the shoreline I land a fat calico.

The fish measures right around 16”...a new LC PB.

I start making my way down and, wouldn’t you know it, right where Jinbow scored, I get NAILED. This thing has weight. It’s dogging at first and I look out and see a tail slap, leaving a BIG hole in the water where it had surfaced. I’m thinkin’, “Ok, this is it...game on!” It starts to take some drag and 5 seconds later...I pull the hook. After letting out a war cry that can be heard 50 miles away, I turn and see a bait-n-wait guy watching the agony. He asks what happened and I tell him my sob story. The tail I saw looked dark, so I’m figuring it was a pig calico, but only Poseidon knows (my friend Nate said I'm just trying to console myself cuz it was a huge WSB...thanks a lot Nate ). After working the beach a ways down, the hourglass starts to run out of sand and I start working my way back to my starting point, the whole time just concentrating on the task at hand. When I get back to the bait guy, he says, “did you see that out there?” I reply “what? shark?” He said he saw about a 14’ great white breach 3 times like it was chasing something. I didn’t see anything but after we parted ways I come across a couple guys gearing up to go paddleboarding. I told them, “I’m not trying to scare you guys outta here, but the guy down there said he just saw a 14’ white breach. I didn’t see it, but thought I’d give you guys a heads-up to keep an eye out”. They thank me and, relunctantly proceed out. There’s another paddleboarder out there and, of all things, a guy in a float tube. I work the beach for another 15 minutes, the whole time watching the float tuber to see if he gets boiled on. I keep thinking I’m gonna have to scramble to get my phone out and call 911 if it happens. Fortunately nothing happens and I get on home before the time on my hallpass runs out. I didn’t hear anything on the news so I guess that shark never came back out to play after I left...thank God.

Aug 4 - I’m tossed on where to hit next. The tides weren’t favorable for the spot that I got the calico and there was supposed to be a grunion run (though I haven’t caught squat this year trying to follow a run). So I ask permission for a double hallpass to do a Sat and Sun run. It’s granted, but I shoulda never pressed it, cuz it came back to bite me in the ***. I head out to a sandy beach and I get nothing but a couple more thornbacks. Even the bait-n-wait guys using crabs were striking out. I had gone there more to do recon on what to do for Sunday. I told the boss that I’d be back by 8, which I made easily considering the lack of action.

Aug 5 - I decide that the sandy beach wasn’t gonna work so I’m gonna head over to the spot where I lost the mystery fish on the previous week's outing, even though the intel was that the tide was against me. I shoulda listened to that intel cuz I caught the stripe...kelp fiesta and all. I tried the LC, dropshot and swimbait for nada.

The following week felt the wrath of asking for a double hallpass. I got the “can you please not go fishing and spend some time at home so I can get some things done!” speech. Yeehaw.

Aug 15, today (or yesterday, by the time I finish writing this dang thing) - I have a ton of work coming in but am waiting on top-brass approval to start working over the images needed. I pull a last minute decision after dropping my son off at preschool to hit a beach nearby...partially cuz I had just read about Marc’s striper score from that spot early last year. Now, I’m not completely delusional and realize that it’s HIGHLY unlikely that I’m gonna score that fish, but it is the same spot that I got my first LC halibut earlier this year...short, but a nice 20 1/2” fish. So, I hit the beach and no sooner do I fire off my second cast and my phone starts going off. It’s work and the word has come in to proceed with the file builds that we need to finish. Luckily, I’m given the ‘ok’ to do the work from home. So, I decide to continue on and give it an hour or so. Conditions weren’t great, but there was some bait presence and, what the heck, it was a nice day to get out...especially cuz I had gotten ‘grounded’ over the last weekend. And, no, the boss didn’t know that I had gone out and done this. I work the beach and get to a point where I’m about to call it a day, when a land butt starts jogging toward me in the distance. I figure, again, what the heck...might as well take in some sights while I’m here and continue to fire a couple more casts while she makes her way over. Two casts later...BAM! Fish on! Ok, nice bend, a little squirrely, running back and forth through the surf and pulling a ‘little’ drag...Striper? It definately doesn’t feel like a ray or shark, but it isn’t head shaking either. I start working it close and I see a brief tail slap on the surface with a glint of yellow. I’m thinking, “ghost? here? no way!” Well ‘no way’ was right. Up flops a YFC...a pig of a YFC. I figure, well, at least no skunk and it is a nice-sized fish...actually an LC PB, so I take measurements and fire off some pictures.

Right around 18”

I work my way back to my starting point and on my last cast, stick another fat YFC. Not as big as the first, but a nice little fatty.

I load up the car and start thinking about the ‘Challenge List’ that I was PM’d by Arthur earlier this year. I start thinking, “OH SH*T, that might be a qualifying fish! Crap, do I want that to be my qualifying fish?” All those dreams of the GLORY fish and I’m gonna qualify with a YFC? I’ll be the laughing stock of S.W.A.T.! Then again, I’ve always made an easy target for trashing...S.W.A.T. comic-relief fits. I PM Arthur and tell him my dilemma. He says...Take it and run baby! You can't control what Poseidon decide to hand you as an induction fish. But be ready for for some Bachi-bashing, I also didn’t want to seem arrogant or ungrateful for my opportunity here. There a ton of people that would love to be offered a spot with this group. If I pass because I didn’t catch a ‘glory’ fish, that would border on down right rude...not to mention Poseidon would probably have that 14’ great white bite my casting arm off on my next outing for passing up on his gift. He was probably having a good laugh on this one...”watch, I’ll give him a fish, but it’s gonna make his head spin!”

So, there you have it...I made it in. Not with the fantasized 40” WSB, 30” flattie or even a 5+ lb. calico...but an 18” YFC.

Let the Bachi-bashing begin!!!!
    Last edited by bachiboy; 08-20-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Ammend title as requested.

"Congratulations" Don on that fine S.W.A.T. Entry Fish and "Welcome" to S.W.A.T. ....my "brotha!"

You have definitely put in the time, persevered many of the changing surf conditions and have been rewarded with this magnificent species of a fish!
    I say...."receive your blessing as they come!" I'm looking forward to meeting you Don and to spending some "good times" in the salt with you.

PS.....I've been having a very difficult time lately .....seems that I can only beach are these nuisance....Striped Bass, WSB and Hali's ! I would luv to beach a hog of a YFC like you have! When we do finally hook up Don...would you please teach me your LC retrieval techniques so that I may also target and beach S.W.A.T. qualifying YFC's like you have here! Ha ha ha ha! Remember..."You have earned your bragging rights!"

Thanx for sharing your fantastic journey with all of us and once again "Welcome to the S.W.A.T. Brotherhood!"

I'm looking forward to good times, great fishing adventures and lasting memories with you Don!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 08-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Nice work Don. You certainly put in the time and snuck one in under the radar. That is SWAT material for sure.

Congrats and a toast to your success Many more I hope

WWO
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 08-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Don,

On august 15,2012 @ 1:05pm I recieved a text from the commander saying that Don (Bachiboy) just caught his induction fish, a 18" Yellow Fin Croaker............My first thoughts..........Yeah baby!, Congratulations!

Yellow Fin Croaker, Halibut, Calico Bass, WSB, some other Exotic or Catfish (Catfish was on the list wasn't it?) it doesn't matter to me. You were given a SWAT Challenge, you committed to the mission and you made it happen. I've followed your reports along the way and even had the opportunity to cross paths with you in my home turf along with John, on one of our morning sessions, and you fished your tail off. I wanted it to happen that day but Poseiden decided he was going to wait to see just how bad you wanted it and through your persistence and determination Poseiden said it's time.

I
    thoroughly enjoyed reading your "Mission Accomplished" post as well as all the others leading up to this one. You did a great job Don. Congratulations and welcome to SWAT!
    Last edited by PONTOON; 08-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Scary thought, when Pontoon's speechless lol. A fish is a fish Bachi, we have no control over what that is. Although 18" is stretching it a bit, still a nice specimen. Arthur made the wish list, and you filled one of the gaps there. Its obviously not an easy score, or others would have done it already. I see it as a starting point for you. It can only get better from here. My casting reel finally returned to me after FOUR MONTHS at the repair shop, and I still haven't heard from the boat mechanic about when my gf (boat) is coming home. So I'll offer the attaboy here, and watch for when you score the prospective target species in style. Mikey

Congrats on the M.A.!!
    I was hoping that looong story was going to end with a line side hitting the sand :)
    They can't all be monsters, right?
    Nice going,
    LL

Thumbs up

Great job Colonel Croaker!

Don, welcome to the Brotherhood. But we’ve already considered you as one of our own, induction fish or no induction fish.

Hey, so what if it’s a Croaker of the wrong kind, lol
    That is a beautiful YFC. Not too many 18” models have come out of the surf so it’s not an easy catch by any means. It actually puts you on top of the YFC category on the S.W.A.T. Challenge Leader Board. So while we raz you for the catch, none of us (so far) can match it.

You came to my attention when a couple of the Brothers mentioned you as a possible prospect. Your conduct and contributions to the board puts you in consideration. But it was the way you responded to my PM when I asked you simply, “What do you think S.W.A.T. is all about and what do you think we stand for?” Your answer was candid as it was genuine and sincere.
    Welcome to the Family my friend. Keep an eye out for your “welcome” package.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 08-16-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Colonel crocker lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    "Congratulations" Don on that fine S.W.A.T. Entry Fish and "Welcome" to S.W.A.T. ....my "brotha!"

You have definitely put in the time, persevered many of the changing surf conditions and have been rewarded with this magnificent species of a fish!
    I say...."receive your blessing as they come!" I'm looking forward to meeting you Don and to spending some "good times" in the salt with you.

PS.....I've been having a very difficult time lately .....seems that I can only beach are these nuisance....Striped Bass, WSB and Hali's ! I would luv to beach a hog of a YFC like you have! When we do finally hook up Don...would you please teach me your LC retrieval techniques so that I may also target and beach S.W.A.T. qualifying WFC's like you have here! Ha ha ha ha! Remember..."You have earned your bragging rights!"

Thanx for sharing your fantastic journey with all of us and once again "Welcome to the S.W.A.T. Brotherhood!"

I'm looking forward to good times, great fishing adventures and lasting memories with you Don!

SP Dan <"))><
    Thanks you sir!

I forgot to mention in my post that I am the GREATEST surf fisherman on the west coast. So, it comes to no surprise that you request my tutelage. I've been asked many a day to give seminars and speak of my heroic feats. Because I admire your determination and perseverance, I will gladly share my patented techniques with you.

I start with a baitcasting reel and use a windmill type, underhand cast...sort of like a fast-pitch softball player. You have to hang the LC far enough so that, as you windmill your cast, you slap the LC on the water before it's release. This will give you the optimum backlash and minimize unnecessary distance in your cast. As you rip the line out of your reel to release the backlash, allow the slack to wrap around your legs and loop around your backpack or fannypack so it makes an even bigger mess. This technique works two fold, the unwanted halibut, WSB or striper will see this and say, "what a F*&$^&#g IDIOT! I'm not going to eat that stupid lure." The YFC, your more targeted quarry, will burst into uncontrollable laughter causing it to gasp so violently for air that the lure becomes lodged in his throat. If you wish to up your odds in landing such a magnificent species, refrain from using custom paints or scents...simply let a wave take out your feet, fall forward into the surf and shove your reel into the sand. This extra flare will paralyze the enemy with laughter making it an even easier target.

On this day, no such tactics were needed. I believe that the mere sight of my GREATNESS caused him to burst into laughter causing him to inhale my offering...I'm sure that I am incredibly famous amongst the enemy, you know.

Use this information well my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    Scary thought, when Pontoon's speechless lol. A fish is a fish Bachi, we have no control over what that is. Although 18" is stretching it a bit, still a nice specimen. Arthur made the wish list, and you filled one of the gaps there. Its obviously not an easy score, or others would have done it already. I see it as a starting point for you. It can only get better from here. My casting reel finally returned to me after FOUR MONTHS at the repair shop, and I still haven't heard from the boat mechanic about when my gf (boat) is coming home. So I'll offer the attaboy here, and watch for when you score the prospective target species in style. Mikey
    Yea, on second glance, not sure that thing stretches to the full 18". The benchmark for that species was 16", so even an over-measurement won't 'help' me weasel out of this one. I decided to snap a pict cuz I figure it was an LC PB for me and I should be documenting my journey a little more with eye candy...or something close to eye candy. I laid the tape down and at full view looked to be right at 18"...never really thought much about accuracy cuz it was, after all, just a YFC. Never crossed my mind that I was gonna write about this being 'THE ONE'.

Hope your reel is back in action and the gf finds her way back home soon.

THREADJACK on my own post...
    I'm pretty sure it was you that mentioned the 200lb. club for the Royal Polaris in a post a few years back. Do you ride the RP? I try and get out on the RP once a year and I leave on an 8 day next month. Hope that trip ends up with a little more than PB YFCs.

Thanks for the feedback and we'll keep you posted on a more glamorous capture!
    Colonel Croaker

HEY I THINK I GOT A PROMOTION from private pee-on!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Lager View Post
    Congrats on the M.A.!!
    I was hoping that looong story was going to end with a line side hitting the sand :)
    They can't all be monsters, right?
    Nice going,
    LL
    Yea, it was INCREDIBLY long winded to end like that. Now take that feeling of disappointment and multiply it by ten...that's how I felt when I got home and saw the challenge list with qualifying measurements.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!!!!
    Don
    Last edited by bachiboy; 08-16-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    Scary thought, when Pontoon's speechless lol. Mikey
    Well, it's only temporary Mikey.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast