Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Not Feed The Animals !

Default Do Not Feed The Animals !

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because the animals will GROW DEPENDENT on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.

Here are the top 5 states:

-1. Texas – 3.068 million participants

-2. California - 2.99

-3. New York - 2.57

-4. Florida - 1.77

-5. Illinois - 1.71

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides financial assistance for food purchasing to low- and no-income people and families living in the U.S. It is a federal aid program, administered by the Food and Nutrition Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, but benefits are distributed by the individual U.S. states. It is historically and commonly known as the Food Stamp Program.

In the 2011 fiscal year, $76.7 billion in food stamps were distributed. As of March 2012, 46.4 million Americans were receiving on average $133.14 per month in food stamps. Recipients must have at most near-poverty incomes to qualify for benefits, and in Washington, D.C., and Mississippi, more than one-fifth of residents receive food stamps.

Since June 2004, all states have used Electronic Benefit Transfer (debit card) for all food-stamp benefits. For most of its history, however, the program actually used paper-denominated stamps or coupons worth US$1 (brown), $5 (blue), and $10 (green). These stamps could be used to purchase any prepackaged edible foods regardless of nutritional value (for example soft drinks and confectionery could be purchased on food stamps). In the late 1990s, the food-stamp program was revamped and actual stamps were phased out in favor of a specialized debit-card system known as Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) provided by private contractors. Many states merged the use of the EBT card for public-assistance welfare programs as well. The 2008 farm bill renamed the Food Stamp Program as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (as of October 2008), and replaced all references to "stamp" or "coupon" in federal law to "card" or "EBT."

WTG, We have a new record.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Debt Clock is scarey. 15.9 Trillion Dollars
    DR

You really enjoy pushing the envelope, don't you?

MM

I know I risk receiving a warning from the mods, but I won't let this one slide.

DockRat, your post smacks of scumbaggery.

You cite facts and figures, but fail to point out that a) many of the locations you mentioned are population centers and thus will have a more recipients of these programs, and b) many areas south of the Mason-Dixon line have been kept in perpetual poverty since the 1860s.

You carelessly foist the economic problems of this country on the shoulders of a group of people who have the least amount of political power in it. You offer no realistic economic solutions, yet I am sure if we did a little digging, we'd find you carrying a torch for ideologues who would break your back to advance their own prosperity. The only valid concern in your post - the purchase of items of questionable nutritional content through these programs - is lost in what amounts to little more than a borderline-racist, classist diatribe complete with inflammatory images.

Once again, scumbaggery.

You can't believe that the system is not being ABUSED

I understand that some need a helping hand, but there are others that are ABLE, but lack motivation to better themselves and their situation.

I find it a hard pill to swallow when the person in front of me in line at the grocery store pays for groceries with an EBT card,,, then takes off out of the parking lot in a nicer car than I have.

" Work harder, there are millions on welfare depending on you !!! "

We spent nearly 10x that amount dicking around in other countries affairs. I'd rather feed the poor than fight the wars.

Quote Originally Posted by white belt View Post
    We spent nearly 10x that amount dicking around in other countries affairs. I'd rather feed the poor than fight the wars.
    +1 on this

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    You can't believe that the system is not being ABUSED

I understand that some need a helping hand, but there are others that are ABLE, but lack motivation to better themselves and their situation.

I find it a hard pill to swallow when the person in front of me in line at the grocery store pays for groceries with an EBT card,,, then takes off out of the parking lot in a nicer car than I have.

" Work harder, there are millions on welfare depending on you !!! "
    No one ever said the system isn't being abused: It's very likely you could find examples of abuse in virtually every Federal, State, and Local agency and program in this entire country. For example, I could make the argument that there are individuals out there abusing the State Disability Insurance or DoD Procurement programs.

So let's get back on track here: What I am taking exception to is the singling out of one particular group and making them the scapegoat for all our socioeconomic ills, and the despicable methods the original poster used to get his ludicrous message across.

being a person who had to watch there parents cringe out of embarrasement for having to use food stamps, I will say that its a good program for those who need it. Those who take advantage of it and abuse it disgust me. I will say maybe the use of food stamps should be lowered to certain foods only, because i don't believe people should be using them to go buy cookies and cake and junk like that, it should be used for food that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Ms. Taber is perfectly within her rights to not accept EBT payments for her baked goods. Given that her business seems to solely entail desserts, I think she makes a valid argument for refusing such payments.

If the Farmers Market revises their policy requiring all of their vendors to accept EBT payments - which is likely within their rights to do - Ms. Taber will have to make the choice of giving up the privilege of selling her goods there.

And the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast