Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epic Wild Rainbow Trout Fishing: Angeles National Forest + Video

1. Default Epic Wild Rainbow Trout Fishing: Angeles National Forest + Video

Video Link YouTube: http://youtu.be/ywdgNFw0T-A (Long trout fishing video but with plenty of fish-catching action and epic scenery. Give yourself plenty of time to watch the entire video, I believe you'll enjoy it if you love mountain fishing!)

I've finally finished putting together a new blog post about one of my recent trout fishing trips. This was earlier in the summer, before this wild heat wave. It was still quite warm, but one of my favorite *secret* mountain streams was running well with cold, crystal clear water.

In the space of several hours, I landed and released countless wild rainbow trout. Technique was pretty simple-ultralite gear and microjigs.

Random fishing tip: I've found that mountain stream fishing for wild trout is actually pretty easy, once you learn how to sneak up on them and present a lure in a natural manner. Stomping up into the water, wielding 10lb test on a heavy rod with a random lure from WalMart isn't going to cut it. You have to really scope out each pool from a distance, plan your approach, then execute it with flawless precision for best results. Otherwise, you'll turn off the biggest (sometimes even all) of the trout in a pool. I find that usually the "king" trout in a pool will usually nail your lure on the first cast if well-placed, but later casts will usually catch smaller fish. The most addicting thing about fishing for these wild trout is the awesome "hunt" that goes into catching them in a fantastically scenic environment.

Anyway, enough preaching about how to catch these beautiful fish. On this trip, I rock-hopped, and occasionally waded as I explored this particular creek. The further up into the hills I hiked, the bigger the fish became. I came across virtually unfished pools, absolutely teaming with wild trout. Eventually, I had to turn back as the setting sun was making it difficult to explore safely. Still, this was one of my best trout fishing tips ever-definitely a true memory maker. The largest fish were in the 14'' range, certainly beautiful specimens for this wild creek.

Last edited by carpanglerdude; 08-14-2012 at 09:32 PM.

quality report.

Could have been better with a fly rod instead! lol

Awesome post! I use the same tactics in the sierra. Thanks for sharing. However I think Viejo is gonna go nuts. Lol.
    Last edited by phishin phool; 08-14-2012 at 10:24 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by phishin phool View Post
    Awesome post! I use the same tactics in the sierra. Thanks for sharing. However I think Viejo is gonna go nuts. Lol.

Haha, maybe, but I doubt it. We've traded PM's before, and I understand why he gets upset on certain threads. The mountain trout streams are highly pressured, often by people who do not act as responsible stewards of the environment. When anglers post specific directions to different streams here online, where everyone can easily view 'em, it irritates him (and others), quite rightly so.

I have no interest in ever disclosing the location of this spot. It's pristine and I hope it remains so. I've tried to keep the photographs and video scenic but without any clear indication of exactly where I am. I'm happy to share knowledge on how to catch such fish, but people have to explore on their own to find good spots :)

No. No nuts. I don't fish locals right now with the water temps in the San Gaberiels and San Bernardinos high 60's and even seventies. Did you note how fast the trout was trying move water through his gills in those shots? The warm water helps create more lactic acid build up in the muscles of the fish. They swim away but many are so stressed with the effort of the fight that they don't survive. Spent a great weekend with a DFG biologist up near Bridgeport and really got an education. Even the places I like to fish in the Sierras are too warm. I'm fishing still water and the salt till the leaves start turning and we get some cold nights. It's nicely done video....knowing where it's shot makes it that much more special.
    Last edited by Viejo; 08-14-2012 at 10:49 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    No. No nuts. I don't fish locals right now with the water temps in the San Gaberiels and San Bernardinos high 60's and even seventies. Did you note how fast the trout was trying move water through his gills in those shots? The warm water helps create more lactic acid build up in the muscles of the fish. They swim away but many are so stressed with the effort of the fight that they don't survive. Spent a great weekend with a DFG biologist up near Bridgeport and really got an education. Even the places I like to fish in the Sierras are too warm. I'm fishing still water and the salt till the leaves start turning and we get some cold nights. It's nicely done video....knowing where it's shot makes it that much more special.
    I don't doubt that the fish weren't pleased with the weather, but bear in mind that this trip was in the first week or so of June. Definitely not during this latest hot spell, as I mentioned originally. I haven't been back for over a month, the hike in is too far with this weather. Glad you enjoyed the video!

Epic indeed! Thanks for sharing. Cant wait to explore more of Angeles once it cools down a bit.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
    quality report.

Could have been better with a fly rod instead! lol
    I know, I know. One of these days... :)

I wanted to complement u on ur video and fishing spot! Looks like a gem of a place and great job keeping it urs!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

-brian

Great post... there r a cpl hidden gems in so cal with gorgeous wild bows!!!! Nicely done!!! Way to keep it hush

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast