Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Epic Wild Rainbow Trout Fishing: Angeles National Forest + Video

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Epic Wild Rainbow Trout Fishing: Angeles National Forest + Video

Video Link YouTube: http://youtu.be/ywdgNFw0T-A (Long trout fishing video but with plenty of fish-catching action and epic scenery. Give yourself plenty of time to watch the entire video, I believe you'll enjoy it if you love mountain fishing!)

I've finally finished putting together a new blog post about one of my recent trout fishing trips. This was earlier in the summer, before this wild heat wave. It was still quite warm, but one of my favorite *secret* mountain streams was running well with cold, crystal clear water.

In the space of several hours, I landed and released countless wild rainbow trout. Technique was pretty simple-ultralite gear and microjigs.

Random fishing tip: I've found that mountain stream fishing for wild trout is actually pretty easy, once you learn how to sneak up on them and present a lure in a natural manner. Stomping up into the water, wielding 10lb test on a heavy rod with a random lure from WalMart isn't going to cut it. You have to really scope out each pool from a distance, plan your approach, then execute it with flawless precision for best results. Otherwise, you'll turn off the biggest (sometimes even all) of the trout in a pool. I find that usually the "king" trout in a pool will usually nail your lure on the first cast if well-placed, but later casts will usually catch smaller fish. The most addicting thing about fishing for these wild trout is the awesome "hunt" that goes into catching them in a fantastically scenic environment.

Anyway, enough preaching about how to catch these beautiful fish. On this trip, I rock-hopped, and occasionally waded as I explored this particular creek. The further up into the hills I hiked, the bigger the fish became. I came across virtually unfished pools, absolutely teaming with wild trout. Eventually, I had to turn back as the setting sun was making it difficult to explore safely. Still, this was one of my best trout fishing tips ever-definitely a true memory maker. The largest fish were in the 14'' range, certainly beautiful specimens for this wild creek.

Last edited by carpanglerdude; 08-14-2012 at 09:32 PM.