Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: bait tank vs. bait bag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default bait tank vs. bait bag

Just got an old '72, 17 foot center console. I have a kodiak bait tank that I could install but there is no obvious, perfect place to put it. Floor space is at a premium and a bait bag that hangs over the side would seem to make sense. I have no experience with them and am wondering how well they work. do they have/need a cover?
    Any advice is appreciated. God bless, Mark

Try to fit the tank. The bags are ok but they can get in the way of fighting a fish.
    Good luck.
    DR

One more thing with the bags if you do not have a cover the bait can and will jump and bounce out.

Bait bags suck, They do not create rotational current within the bag. Bait noses into corners and drain holes causes overflow condition/ and they die. My first attempt was a 33 gallon trash can in a 14' boat. Best bait tank ever. we would lose only a hand full of bait by the end of the day. We carried enough bait (2 scoops) to chum and hold our own fish. You can do the same with a smaller profile, round is best, bait can't nose into the corners. Run your plumbing from the top of the tank down. I used 3/4 pvc elbowed down when feed thru the tank wall, Run the pvc to the bottom of the tank and cap. Drill 1/8 holes every 2" to the top of the pipe ( make sure the top hole is 3" below the water line. Aim the water to one side, this will create the rotational current needed to keep the bait alive and swimming in a circle and into the current. Set your drain line where you want the water level in the tank, and at least 2" below the intake line. Drain should be at least 1 1/2 in flexible hose and be able to flow down and out without restriction. Adding a valve to the intake helps when you don't want ant water entering. Meaning, depending on how you mount your pump, Water will enter when the boat is moving fast. This an ideal setup. If you mount a transom mount pump the pump will air lock when moving mod-fast. It is very important the the current in the tank does not get interrupted. lack of tank current will roll your bait faster than you think. Thru hull pump, with a scoop facing forward is the best setup. And a separate battery to run your system. This would much cheaper than the bag setup.

Good luck

Tuna
    Last edited by tunagod1; 08-18-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Excellent info! Thank you very much. I'll forget about the bag on work on a tank!