Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: DVL Tourney Sat 8/11

Default DVL Tourney Sat 8/11

Fished a club tourney on Saturday and it was hotter than heck out there! That didnt stop the fish from biting though. Went out the previous day with my partner and we found a good spot with a lot of biting fish. Decided to leave it alone after catching fish within the first few minutes. The day of the tourney went well for us. Started out throwing jigs and caught a couple small ones right off the bat. Decided to change things up and throw out a small drop shot bait and got bit the second cast. I knew it was a decent fish once I set the hook. The fish came shooting up to the surface and made one good head shake then drove strait down to the bottom and wrapped me up on something. I was fishing with light line and thought for sure I would have to break him off. My partner moved around the trolling motor and i left the bail open to see if he would swim free. After about a minute the fight was back on and I was able to land him. He was right under 4 lbs. For another hour we caught some small keepers and the I switched up to little bigger worm and got a huge bite. My line instantly went slack and I had to catch up with it to set the hook, once I did i knew it was the fish I needed to solidify my limit. It took a long run and then jumped out. When I saw its a head and mouth open I knew that if I landed this fish I would win the tourney because it had been a tough bite for quality fish all week for a lot of the guys. Sure enough my partner got him in the net and he weighed out to be 5lbs 13oz. After catching that fish, which I caught around 10am, I wasn't able to catch anymore keepers. We weighed in early at 2 o'clock and I was able to get 1st place and as well as team. I had just under 17lbs and my partner and I finished with 21lbs for 7 fish. Although some other guys in the club weighed in a 7lber and another one at 6lbs 14oz.

Even though its hot, the fishing has been good. Gotta give so credit to Matt at Last Chance for giving me some advice the day before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DVL.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	36814
    Last edited by a321eric; 08-13-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Great job out there eric! Way to stick with that first bigger fish and get her to boat.... And good job hanging the big girl too!
    Congrats to the both of you!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations! Like Matt said on another post, it's a grind out there, but when you get on them, there are quality fish to be had. There hasn't been big numbers of fish the last few weeks, but the fish we have caught have been fat pigs. I caught a couple of 2-3lb Smallies last Wednesday fishing shadows on the walls. Lol, I thought I was on a big LMB when I hooked them.

Good job out there Eric...

Great job out there. I have been watching you over the past few years, ever since you decided to attend UCR (you had asked me if I knew of any bass clubs down here) and you have really grown. Great to see you fishing tourneys now and winning at that! Keep it up.

Thanks you guys!

Great thread and way to go! It's one thing to win a club tourney, but to do it under those conditions is really impressive! Was it cloudy? I heard it rained in Hemet over the weekend.

Storm rolled in around 1pm and it got nasty out there. Otherwise it was glassed over most the day with the occasional light breeze. Which we had more of a breeze because it was stagnant and hot!