Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 2012.08.09 rock hopping

Default 2012.08.09 rock hopping

I couldn't take it any more and I had to go test out my new rod, I just had to. ( Thanks WiseGuy )

I was using my custom rod with my Calcutta 200gt te spooled with 30# red power pro and 8# xxx izorline leader.

Today was a pretty eventful hour and a half. I got to the water at 130pm and tied on an ots swim bait. I'm hugging the bottom with an occasional hop and I feel a suttle pressure bite. I swing to set the hook and that's when it got really fun. As soon as I set the hook, that thing went crazy. I had my drag buttoned down but it felt like if I was in free spool. At first I thought it was a ray but it never made any long runs. It just shot right then shot left. It even came straight at me at one point. It made a u turn right after that and popped me off.

Right after that I grab another 1/2oz head with my last ots bait. Same retrieve in the same area with the same results. The only thing to show for it is a broken heart and no ots baits in the tacklebox.

Although, I can say that I am now a firm believer in ots and that custom rod is sweeeeeet.

Still shaking from all the excitement, I remove the 8# leader and jump up to 15#. I work the area super hard for nothing. I relocate and start fan casting. Next thing you know BAM. The first official fish on the new rod.

It was a pancake but still nice considering time of day.

I relocate and another one.

At this point I'm working my way back to the car since I can't take the heat anymore ( wearing a black shirt and black hat in the heat = not smart )

I manage a baby sandy but she was camera shy and jumped out of my hand back into the drink.

Ran down to the store and bought myself a huge red Gatorade.

Oh, I almost forgot, while all this was going on I made sure to give WiseGuy the play by play live coverage since i knew he was at work

Too bad about the 2 lost mystery fish....I hate when that happens!
    Way to keep at it for the skunk buster!
    Congrats

Thumbs up

That mystery fish could have been a big Halibut...
    Congrats on the nice session.

Congrats on breaking in the new gear, cool looking swim bait.

High risk maneuver using 8# around those rocks but nice job pulling some fish out in the end. People ask why I have so many black t-shirts and never wear them fishing...for the EXACT reason that you figured out. I can't last long out there in that stuff either.

Congrats on getting that gear broken in!
    Don