Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Castaic Boils and angler behavior discussion...

Don't know about Castaic much but if I was boil chasing out there I would sit on a spot and wait for um to come to me. Stripers will follow patterns and push the bait back and forth in zones, wait for um and then you will be the first on the boil and get a couple before the boil hoards come flying in and the fish sound. I've used this on Mead and Silverwood but I am not familiar with Castaic but I'd think stripers are stripers, ID the pattern find your spot kick back suck down a couple cold ones watch the boil horder craziness and be ready when they come back thru your area.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Don't know about Castaic much but if I was boil chasing out there I would sit on a spot and wait for um to come to me. Stripers will follow patterns and push the bait back and forth in zones, wait for um and then you will be the first on the boil and get a couple before the boil hoards come flying in and the fish sound. I've used this on Mead and Silverwood but I am not familiar with Castaic but I'd think stripers are stripers, ID the pattern find your spot kick back suck down a couple cold ones watch the boil horder craziness and be ready when they come back thru your area.
    That worked for us yesterday morning. We had 5 to 8 lb fish jumping right next to the boat 3 times. It's a shame that they were keyed on 1 inch shad.

I think that if you read more carefully, you'll see that the object of this post is to get people to behave on boils, not to teach them how to catch fish. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    That worked for us yesterday morning. We had 5 to 8 lb fish jumping right next to the boat 3 times. It's a shame that they were keyed on 1 inch shad.
    I was there yesterday morning too. Maybe I saw you. There were not many boats at all. Mostly I was in the bottom half of the fish arm in a rental by myself. White long sleeve sunshirt, gray cap. Ended up with 2 stripers.
    Last edited by Ian; 08-09-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    GARY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do it right gary,,,just do that and it will be like this,,,,learn from this post ,,,its all being spoken here for everyone to be educated MO,BETTA,,,,LOL

I can see it now,,,,,,,,,The MASSES,,,,,,,,Light goes on,<,,THATS how il do it the next time i boil chase,,LOL WOW,,These guys are so smart!,,>

But what do i know,,,37 yrs of striper hunting BUT i was only there 1 day,,,LOL,,,Its so much worse now,,WRONG!

Going again next week,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope the masses do the right thing so that i can have a good time and catch some fish.

TITTY BABYS,,,LOLOLOLOL

T/B
    Damn Scott, why the heck are your being a putz...we were trying do actually accomplish something here....

guess it was a lost cause....

I hope your 37 years of experience pans out when everyone else is jacking your day..

your experience doesn’t mean jack when it comes to the next guys behavior or lack of knowledge and common sense when they continually squash ur boils ALL DAY.

Don't know what got up in ur cool aid but good luck with that...

I'm surprised this comes from you, U are always trying to be everyones friend here online and I thought U were mine but if this is the way my friends act then I guess ur not that good of a friend in the end.

THANK YOU for totally undermining our good intensions..

In the end I know I tried…so when things get worse (and it WILL) I can look myself in the mirror and know I tried to be “part of the solution….NOT part of the problem”

Have at it…this is YOUR post now

My TWO cents
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 08-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Default boil chasing

sometimes we all get out of control in the heat of the moment. My son and I know most of you from your post and have put that togetter with a visual on the lake.

We have had our boat for two years and have learned alot by the willingness of most of you to give us some great input on how to fish these lakes and conduct ourselves apropreitly. Just a few days ago Gary slid over and said "they are very motor shy" thank you Gary!! People will act only by how they are taught. We can only do the best that we can to educate fellow fishermen.

I don't mind moving from a boil. sometimes it's the only thing that I can do. It saves my sanity.

I have alot of days ahead of me to fish. I'm sure that some will be good and the ohters ------ well I will just write them off.

We wash all of you many good das on the water where ever you are fishing.

Cocobaker allso know as Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    With all due respect Scott, you guys were out there ONE day, it’s got ALLOT worse just since then..

Ur intensions in ur post are completely notable and definitely respectable but leaving everytime is not the resolution…and sometimes not an option if U have limited time in a day to fish

I have done this exact thing you mention above probably at least 50 times… (just did it yesterday to no avail)many of those time I am subsequently followed immediately after leaving OR …once I stop…even way on the other side of the lake…the “evil boil hoard” and it’s minions follow…

There will NEVER be ultimate resolution obviously but it’s my belief that we need to open a few eyes here…online…when people have their thoughts about them and not in a frenzy.

Maybe a little bit of common sense will slide into the cranial

Sorry to disagree but this comes from someone who’s there 3-4 times a week, I see it just about every other day personally and have stood by and watched it progress with no end in sight

Maybe…just maybe we can impact things even if ever so slightly…any improvement is better than letting it get worse.

PLUS by getting angry we all lose….fishing is fun and pure….the stress from getting upset really takes away some of the fun..

I’ll point out that what you suggest is great, the problem is it does not always pan out…I am a HUGE fan of leading by example but U can lead a horse to water but he doesn’t always drink…

Unfortunately…

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I was there yesterday morning too. Maybe I saw you. There were not many boats at all. Mostly I was in the bottom half of the fish arm in a rental by myself. White long sleeve sunshirt, gray cap. Ended up with 2 stripers.
    I don't remember seeing you, specifically.

I was a passenger in a white, blue and pink boat. I usually drive an 18 ft Center Console that says Winner on the side. It's the brand name. Stop and say hi sometime.

It was a well behaved group but the striper weren't cooperating. I'll mange to get out there one day when both the people and the striper cooperate.

I got 1 and farmed 1 and had to leave early.

7. Default

Don't worry girls... I have fished striper boils for at least 30 years,
    and every time ''the fleet'' gets out of control.... The fishing changes.
    The ''boils'' won't last forever, so you better have a plan B!
    I'm not even fishing right now. I will be soon, but boils ARE my Plan B...
    I remember chasing boils at Pyramid many, many, years ago...
    I was casting into a boil, and Guide Jerry Scotton ran the boils over,
    and scooped up 500 shad! Well, he caught 100 fish that day on shad after the boils!
    It reminds me of the old joke where a father bull and a son bull are looking down at a heard of cows...
    The son says to the dad bull, ''Hey Dad, let's run down there and hump one of those cows?''
    The Dad replied, ''I have a better idea... Let's walk down there, and hump all of them!''

Sincerely,
    Guide Erik Stepanek

P.S.,
    By the way, Jerry Scotton is the best fisherman I have ever met in my life!
    Last edited by erik; 08-09-2012 at 11:01 AM.

I would love to sit back and watch all you guys chase boils down and curse each other out and get all pissed off and give each other the bird etc etc.....this **** is so dayum funny to me...lmaooooooooo!
    Too bad I cant take a 24 pack with me to watch the show....... I would get a lake rental for that.
    No fishing.....just a 24 pk,and a camcorder......hahahahahahahaahaha!

"Slow down!,stop,we were here first waaa waaa waaaaa" LMAOOOOOOO!!

Since there is so much whine here i guess I will add my own perspective. I wish some of those slow skiffs and rental boats would get the hell out of the way when I'm chasing boils. I mean some of them can't get out of their own way it seems cause they are so slow. Blocking other boats, etc. It's all part of the game. Just go fish. Best advice i have seen here is to not mind it and anticipate where they will come up next and have your way with em. Even those slow as a turtle boats can camp at a spot and wait for it to happen near them. I think some of it has to do with boat envy cause they can't get to the action fast enough. :)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast